Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Alpine newts won't eat

dario

Reaction score
Hi,
I raised two alpine newts larva taken from a friend of mine. They were in a outdoor tank at about 20 degrees. No sun exposition. They want stay out of water right from about three days so I transfered in little tank with soil, a bark and deads leaf. When they left the water they don't want to eat. I try with little part of earthworms and with a part of waxworms, nothing.
Any ideas or help for my situation?
Thank You.

aramcheck

Reaction score
Newly metamorphosed juvenile can go some time before they start eating again.

Try putting a spoonful of bloodworm (available from aquarium shops and fishing bait shops) on damp kitchen paper in the tank, it always works :wink:.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly, just be patient, they may take a few days to adjust. Once they start showing interest in food, earthworms, waxworms and live bloodworms will almost certainly be acepted. Make sure you offer they right size of food though.
Best of lucks.

dario

Reaction score
Thank you very much! :)
I'll try bloodworms on damp kitchen paper. However today I put in the tank soil and deads leaf from a garden with very little invertebrates and little snails, I hope can help.

jbherpin

Reaction score
You can also try fruitflies. ;)

I use flightless fruit flies for all my lungless sals, small strains for newly morphed, and larger strains for adults. They are easily dusted, active prey, and are a more natural prey item for many new morphs and juvs. I have used them as a staple for red-backed and two-lined sals. I had some dusky larvals, that I gave away upon morphing, but they also enjoyed them.
If you look through my posts in general, you will see that I am a big supporter of flightless fruit flies. Best of luck!
-jbherpin-

Side note: If you have a lot of dead leaves in there I'd check on the weight of all individuals regularly. It may seem all are feeding, but 1 or more may not be getting enough. I don't know if you feed and leave, and not watch to see which are feeding. Just a thought...
Still-jbherpin-

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!