Question: Axolotls harmful to humans?

cherryscented

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Alice
I was just wondering whether axolotls secrete any poisonous toxins through their skin or carry salmonella like terrapins do? I have searched the internet and read books, but the only information i can get is about salamander toxins, nothing about axolotls in particular. :confused:
Thanx

As far as I see it, if the Mexicans can eat them and I'm still quite healthy, they may just be alright :p

I am ALMOST 100% certain that they don't

I think the "conventional wisdom" is that any reptile or amphibian could possibly be carrying salmonella. And all salamanders (including axolotls) have some kinds of skin toxins as self-defense. However, you'd have to do something really silly, like drink the tank water or lick the axolotl, in order to harm yourself. And it's true that people have eaten axolotls without ill effect.

Salmonella is actually not much of a threat, except to children and people with immune deficiencies. So if there are kids in the house, be sure they wash after being in contact with the aquarium.

you'd have to do something really silly, like drink the tank water or lick the axolotl, in order to harm yourself.

...and following several siphoning mishaps, I can confirm that drinking small quantities of tank water is harmless (but not particularly pleasant).

Haha, Caleb. Glad I'm not the only one!

I had this conversation at work, the whole 'salmonella' thing. I've handled hundreds of animals, and kept dozens more. And I can honestly say that I don't think any one of them has ever made me sick. However, that's no reason to not practice good hygiene.

I also agree... Getting a mouthful of axolotl tank water will not harm you... I have done myself many times!

I think this thread is getting a bit complacent about salmonella. I understand that unlike red eared terrapins which spread salmonella around the globe most axolotls do not carry salmonella but they are capable of catching and carriage of salmonella.

I and my two children had salmonella (not from axolotls, probably bad hygene at a local store with hen's eggs as the original source). I was ill for two weeks and off work for nine weeks as my employer's policy is to exclude carriers. My daughters were both far worse affected, one needed hospital treatment and was in agonising pain.

If your pets do not have this nasty infection you can help keep them free by not feeding them uncooked meat, especially chicken. Earthworms, woodlice (not cultivated on egg cartons) or pellets are preferable.

You can fill a syphon by immersing the tube in the tank. Many axolotl tanks are safe to drink: Some are anything but. A bit of care reduces risk, be sensible and enjoy your pets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back