Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Feeding Bloodworm

Sara88

Reaction score
Just wondering about feeding bloodworm cubes to axies does anybody do it whats the best way to fed the cube and do the axies like them

thanks

kira

Reaction score
I normally cut it up into 6 pieces (depending on the size of your axolotl) and feed it to them frozen using tweezers. You can feed them by hand, however for frozen bloodworms, I find that your body heat defrosts them too much and it mucks up the water more.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My axies love bloodworm. I can't stand the smell myself, but anything for our axolotls eh? :rolleyes:

Bloodworm is very messy.

I tend to use a turkey baster when feeding the bloodworm cubes. I let the bloodworm thaw in a bowl and suck it up with the turkey baster. Putting a finger on the end of the turkey baster I immerse the baster into the tank and squeeze the bloodworm into a depression in the sand to keep it in a concentrated space. The axolotls have no trouble finding it and vacuum it up with ease. My axolotls are quite greedy and there is rarely anything left for me to clean up which is just as well as when they dive at it the bloodworm shoots off in all directions and this gives them plenty of entertainment seeking the flying bits and polishing it off.

You could also try using the jar method (ensure jar is large enough to accommodate the scavenging and ravageing axolotl). ;)

I haven't tried this method myself, but it should work in theory:
  • Fill a jar to the brim with water from the aquarium
  • Pop in the bloodworm cubes, let them thaw and settle to the bottom
  • Put the lid on the jar
  • Gently immerse the jar into the aquarium and then lay the jar on its side on the tank floor
  • Remove the lid - hopefully as the jar is full of water there should be no water turbulence to disturb the bloodworm in the bottom of the jar which is now the rear end of the jar
  • I'm sure it won't take long for a nosey axolotl to find the bloodworm in the jar
  • This should hopefully keep the bloodworm in a confined space and makes for easy removal
But myself, I'll continue to use my trusty turkey baster. :grin:

Sara88

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas the jar trick sounds good for my larger axies and the baster for my juvies

jigglypuff

Reaction score
I have had my axolotls for many years and tried many ways of feeding bloodworms, and I find most ways that include feeding them in the tank cause alot of hasel. From blood worms being left in the tank to the 'melt water' going straight into the tank and the blood worms melt.

There is a method if your axolotls are used to being removed from the tank, this stops the 'melt water' ending up in the tank. Fill a small holding tank (this can be a stroage tub, small tank or food safe tub) and fill with tank water, remove axolotl from tank and place in holding tank. Leave the axolotl to settle for 10mins. Return to tank and cut bloodworms into mouthful size blocks, then drop in front of its mouth. Most axolotls will grab the blocks as they are drops infront of them, if notlet them melft and then the axie can hoover up!

Once they are fed, put axolotl back in tank and throw away water along with mess!!

I tend to do this when doing a good 'deep' clean of my tanks so I can remove water and fill it back up without upsetting them too much and making sure the temp is the same when they are put back in the tank!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1