Question: Larvae from broken eggs

Genome42

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Niki
My axolotls recently laid their first batch of eggs and as I don't have many plants in the tank they laid mainly on the solid things in my tank and some on the glass. I had to remove them to send them to people as I don't have the room to raise them all! In the process of removing the eggs from the tank and removing the dead/fungus covered eggs I broke a couple of the eggs and the larvae escaped.
I currently have them in a small dish and they lie on their side unless the nudge them or move the dish, then they swim quickly away.
I wanted to know if anyone knows when these larvae will start to feed? Whether their yolk will sustain them until they would have hatched or if they will start to eat within two days as normal fully developed larvae do? Also I presume their development will proceed normally but does anyone have any experience with this?
Thanks for any help!

They will develop normally, but they are much more prone to infection when they are not covered by the egg. They will begin eating a couple of days after the time when they should have hatched. If they survive, they will live on their internal reserves until then.

Thanks. I feel better about them now!
I will have to keep my fingers crossed they stay healthy. They have stopped lying on their sides now and are lying on their bellies like normal larvae so I think all is well!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back