Illness/Sickness: I have eggs!!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My gorgeous axie laid her first batch of eggs yesterday. It was amazing to watch her laying them, she went on laying all day!
I have removed the majority of the eggs (still attached to the plants) to a seperate tank, the rest (attached to large pieces of wood and their hidey homes!) I'm leaving for the fish/axolotls/apple snails to eat! If any larvae manage to hatch in the axie tank then I'll try to remove them before they become dinner!
I have read as much as I can about care of eggs and larvae and hopefully I'm prepared! I have daphnia ready and waiting for the newly hatched larvae, all I need is plenty of storage for when the larvae get bigger!
I'm so excited!
I have done searches on here for any previous threads on care of eggs/small larvae, but most searches ignore all the important words like 'eggs' 'axolotl' etc! Unless I'm doing something wrong? I just want to make sure I get as many happy healthy larvae out of the eggs I've salvaged as possible, so it would be good to read up on other people's experience.
Thank you, Kerry.

CONGRATLATONS!
But a word from the wise, dont try to rase more than 10-20.
The actual daily care is no problem its the cost.
If your daphnia crashes and dies you will have to make sure you have alternatve supples ready.
20 larvae upto 1 month will cost around £20 a week if you have to purchase food, once they start to grow and advance on to blood worm ths can escalate to £30-£40 for live food.
Thats the down side im afraid but the rewards are just as great as you watch them develope from to day.
Anyway good luck.

I am raising 96 ;) IT'S SO HARD AND TIRING AND I HATE BEING A MOMMY.
But they have their little cutsey moments <3

It disheartens me whenever I read someone wanting to save 'as many as possible'. I would suggest that saving a few eggs and pampering the larvae like crazy is a better goal. You'll see what we mean soon enough. I've seen so many first timers end up with all of them dead simply because they tried so hard to raise a large number.

There are some articles on CC that may be useful reading if you haven't seen them:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/raising.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/why_larvae_die.shtml

Thank you for the advice. I'm going to try to raise about 20 babies so that I don't run out of daphnia and run into trouble storing them all when they get bigger. I realise I was a bit ambitious with the amount of eggs I harvested! I just got caught up with the excitment of it all! Thanks again for your help, Kerry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back