Question: Is an axolotl right for me?

graphitebeans

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello there!
I've recently inherited a tank set-up, and I'm lookin' to find a cool pet for it!
In our local pet stores, I've seen axolotl for sale quite often, for a mere $30 Aus. and I've been sorely tempted by their beautiful little faces, and quirky natures. However, my old fish tank was simply for goldfish, and was a mere 5 litres, so it wasn't economical. My new tank is a corner tank, and is of unknown volume. I think it's 38 litres, but I suck at maths, so here's the measurements: 36.1cm x 35.8cm, with a rounded front measuring 62.8cm, the whole wedge shaped tank is 37.8cm tall (just in case anyone else wants to have a crack at calculating the volume). I think this is a large enough tank for an axolotl, however I'm unsure, as most of you have rectangular tanks.
I don't believe, however, that this is my most pressing issue.
I'd assumed, up until reading this forum, that because pet stores sell them so commonly here in CAIRNS that they would be easy to keep here. However after reading many archival posts, I am uncertain as to whether I'd be able to keep an axy healthy and happy here. I live with my folks, so my tank is in my room (cycling as I type), which is the coolest in the house. I also have a window-mounted air conditioner in my room, which I read can help dramatically. However it is old, noisy and uneconomical electrically, so I prefer not to use it unless it's way too hot (and I grew up in the Carribbean). I am currently in uni, however this will be over for the year in about two weeks, so I won't be too distracted to take care of an axy over the summer. Mom says I'd be allowed to run my aircon to keep an axy cool, and she thinks they're awesome too, but we're not rich, so I can't afford a cooling system, as another Cairns local who posts here has declared necessary.
My tank is empty yet, so I'd like to see what the experts have to say before I commit my heart (and my wallet) to one of these amazing creatures.
Any suggestions would be helpful, and thank you for sticking around to read all my drivel.
Now over to you :grin:

Aslong as you read through this site www.axoltol.org and can comply with all their requirments, I'd say it'd make a perfect pet. However that tank sounds a bit small as they'll need 10 gallons each at least. I think about 5 litres is 1 gallon. So your tank is only around 7 gallons. If you were to purchase a bigger tank, then you'd be perfectly fine. I find an economical and efficeint way of cooling is using dechlorinated bottles of water and putting them in a freezer. Then just pop them in the tank... I've never had to use it myself but it should work in theory.

Ian

Last edited:
Another issue to consider is temperature. In places where the summer temperatures are hot, it can be quite a struggle to keep an axie tank cool enough.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back