Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lungless Salamanders & Breeding

kittyb

Reaction score
I work in a genetics laboratory that studies early heart development. So far, we have only used Xenopus (X. laevis and X. tropicalis) in our work.

As a "side project," my PI is interested in the evolutionary development of the 1 atrium/1 ventricle system into a 2 atria/1 ventricle system. We want to use lungless salamanders as the model animal, as part of the argument revolves around the development of lungs.

I'm currently researching possible Plethodontidae species that would work well in our lab. I'm aware that they breed seasonally, and clutches are CONSIDERABLY lower in number than Xenopus (tens versus thousands). Being the person with the M.S. in animal reproduction and physiology, it falls on me to establish and maintain a colony. I would like to note that I'm very familiar with the care of reptiles, but my experience with amphibians has only involved frogs.

I'm looking for suggestions on which species (or at least genus) to look into. Aquatic and terrestrial species are both options, though I have found that some species require moving water and we most likely will not be able to set up that kind of system for them. It's also vital that the species is communal. And, for obvious reasons, species that are "easier" to care for and that breed well in captivity are best.

Thanks for any help you can offer! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1