No hatching after 21 days

nicolle

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Nicolle
Hi

Not sure if you remember or not but when we bought the axies one laid one egg in the tank the day we got her. We separated the egg into another filtered tank by itself so it was safe. we have kept the water temperature constand at room temp (quite cool) but nothing has hatched. there is no movement in the egg but i can see a mini black axie in there. do you think it will still hatch? is there naythign else i should do

The time till hatching is dependent on temperature so if the water is quite cool that might be why the little guy is taking a long time to emerge!
If the egg looks healthy i.e. no signs of fungus or going cloudy, then its probably OK. Sometimes they have trouble getting out of the egg. One of mine was still in the egg after all the others were hatched so i broke the egg and it was fine.
I would leave it a day or two and if it still has not hatched I would break the egg.

i broke the egg this morning and nothing ... there is an outline of an axi in there but it is now yellow - no movement no nothing - i fear the worst

Has all the jelly been removed from the baby?
If you nudge the baby once it is out of the jelly and it doesn't swim away i would assume the worst :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back