Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Reluctant longtoed salamander

hcq33

Reaction score
I had four longtoed salamander tadpoles (pictures posted in the gallery). Each one morphed at a different time over the past 4 months. The first three were very eager to leave the water, some even before their gills were totaly gone. These three have done fine out of the water and in their new land based home. My last tadpole began morphing and decided to climb out of the water and up the "tank" wall. I moved him to his half and half container (more real land and less water). Well, now the silly creature has lost all his gills and will not leave the water and go on the land at all. He just swims around and goes to the surface for air when needed.

Question: should I take him out of the water and place him in the all land container or should I let him decide when to leave the water. He is still eating and seems very active and happy.

I could also start to reduce the amount of water he is able to swim in, that may work too. Right now he has 1/2 inch of water and he is about 1 inch long.
Thanks.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I'd leave him in the current setup and let him leave the water when he's entirely ready, though it wouldn't hurt to lower the water level a bit.

Good Luck!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I'd lower the water as well, and give him LOTS of places to climb out.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd also provide some hiding places on the land side (cork pieces on top of the islands, for example). Sometimes sals will stay aquatic because the aquatic side of the tank provides more shelter or hiding places. But given appropriate hides on land, they may choose that.

hcq33

Reaction score
Wow, what a lot of great ideas. I did have hiding places on land, so that was not it, good idea though, thanks. I think he just likes swimming. Perhaps it is more fun to be weightless than to try and walk under your own leg power.
A few hours ago I dropped the water level and as of now, he is in a marshy area and doesn't look too happy about it. What a funny little creature and so different from the other "nest mates". I know he will be fine once he decides to make the change, it is just so odd to watch the whole process. Thanks for the help. I will post pictures soon.
Heather

hcq33

Reaction score
The reluctant salamander is now on land and happy to be there. Talk about a stuborn sallie. Anyway, I have video of them both eating and once I find out how to post the video I will let you know. Thanks for the advice, I will be redoing the habitat next weekend so it will be not as wet. Do I need to included a small container for water? I have both salamanders in different containers each with a small amount of water, but they never seem to use it.

hcq33

Reaction score
Remember the reluctant to leave the water salamander? Well I changed his cage today and in the cleaned cage, he "ran" straight for the water and started swimming around and around and then just stared at me for the longest time and then crawled out of the water. It was so odd. I guess this salamander is just his own "person" and does his own thing.:p

Neuter

Reaction score
Have you tried putting cover directly at the edge of the water? So it partially covers the water, but also extends over the land?

hcq33

Reaction score
He has been on land for about a week now, but I guess he really wanted to take a short swim after I changed the water and substrate. It the all land container, he only have a very small water bowl, however it was apparently just enough water for him to take a quick and happy swim!

hcq33

Reaction score
Here is the reluctant salamander update:
S/he is loving land, but also still visits the water dish more frequently than the other "litter" mate.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1