Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Too big a rock! Need Immediate Help!!!

caoineadh

Reaction score
So, I used gravel in Bartelby's tank for a long time, but thought it was rough on him to always be passing rocks. I bought bigger gravel, but I was not aware that anything smaller than than the head could be swallowed. Now, he has two of those rocks in his stomach, and he is badly bloated. Not floating, still moving, but it has been over a week, and there is no sign of him passing anything. He tried to eat, I think, but it got him no where. I don't think there is a qualified vet in the area, and I was wondering if any of you all know what to do, before something terrible happens. Please help!!!

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Putting your axolotl in the fridge can help with this. Fill a container (like an ice cream tub) with tank water then pop your axolotl in it then put the tub in the fridge. Keep a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge, this will be for container water changes. You need to completely replace the container water every day so make sure you always have a fresh bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge.
Depending on the size of the rocks your axolotl may pass them. You can offer food whilst fridging but its usually refused.
I'm afraid its dependent on the size of the rocks it has swallowed as to whether your axolotl will pass them or not. If it doesn't the outlook may be bad for your axolotl. I doubt if there would be much a vet could do. Time will tell I'm afraid.
Let us know how he goes.

caoineadh

Reaction score
I am fairly certain he can't pass them. I was shocked he swallowed them in the first place. They are both about a centimeter across. I will try the fridge thing, but he has never responded well to it. Every time he goes in, he comes really close to dying.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your axolotl, I am pretty sure that the stones will be passed in time, depending on the size of your axolotl....I have heard of larger objects making their way through in time :eek:. I would try to keep the axolotl as cool and stress free as possible and offer small portions of food as you would feed normally. Hopefully in time the stones will pass.

caoineadh

Reaction score
Well, he is still swimming around, and eating. The bloating seems to be decreasing, but he isn't passing them. So I guess if it isn't hurting him, I won't worry too much about it.

caoineadh

Reaction score
OK, so I lied. He is bloated from the bottom, and he feels very tight to the touch. I moved him out of the tank, and into a bowl with pretty cold water, and when I felt him, his stomach is very firm, like he is puffed up like a balloon. He is quite puffy on the underbelly, and I can feel the rocks in his stomach, but I have to squeeze a little to feel them, because of the swelling. I am fearing the worst by this point. Have any of you dealt with this before?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have any of you dealt with this before?

Sadly yes.

I would recommend fridging him and set fridge for 5 degrees celcius. The constant cold water temperature will help ease the discomfort of the rocks and will aid the axolotl in the passing of them. The fridge also slows the metobolism so the axolotl will not need to eat and the weight loss will also slow right down.

But if the rock is too big or jagged in shape to be passed, then the axolotl may die.

We tend to learn the hardest way just how dangerous gravel is. I've lost two of my dear ones due to impaction.

Please keep us posted and I hope Bartelby pulls through this trial.

las

Reaction score
hi i had this proplem with my axolotl i couldnt belive it when he swalloed 3 big stones. i put him in a seperate tank with no gravel, it took about 3 weeks but he threw them up lol it was horrible to watch it looked like he was choaking, he did this twice so i took out the pebbles and replaced them with big glass cobblestones, mine was also eating and swimming accasionally, poor thing couldnt float tho then after he passed the stones it was a little tricky for him to get his balance right so he could sit on the bottom lol

caoineadh

Reaction score
I put him in a bowl where he can settle flat, and chilled the water. I doubt it is cold enough, but until I get a thermometer to measure the temp, I can't put him in the fridge. The rocks aren't jagged, they are quite smooth, just large. He is about 8 inches long, and I know he is a real fighter. He hates being in the bowl, which usually prods him to get on with it. I found what looks to be a small amount of waste in the bottom of the tank, which wasn't there yesterday. I am hoping that means good things. Is it possible to massage the rocks away from his backside, maybe give everything a way out? They are definitely near his lower legs right now, rather than in his middle. I hate to just wait and see with him, he has been such a fighter, overcome illnesses and accidents, I want to help him... just sitting here feels like I am giving up on him.

digger

Reaction score
I would not reccommend trying to massage them out as this could bruise his internal organs.
You should really try to get him in the fridge this will be the easiest situation for him as he will become more docile and relaxed. When he is relaxed the muscles will relax and hopefully enable the stones to pass.

caoineadh

Reaction score
So, I popped him into the fridge about two hours ago. He is now swimming in circles in the bottom of the bowl, more active than he has been in a while. He really hates being in the bowl. I am hoping he will get down to business soon. I know he is hungry, but I can't risk feeding him anymore, so maybe that will encourage him.

digger

Reaction score
It can take a few days for him to pass anything, just try to be patient and hopefully everything will be ok.
Whilst he is in the fridge try to resist popping in to look at him as this will just stress him.
Make sure he is covered and left in peace, he will be fine without food for a couple of days as his metabolism will slow right down.

caoineadh

Reaction score
Well, it is day two in the fridge, and he is getting bigger and bigger. Starting to blowing bubbles out of his mouth, and laying with his nose almost out of the water. Swimming, but not nearly as much. If he doesn't do something soon, I don't think he will last much longer.

kira

Reaction score
Like everyone said, it can take a little while to pass rocks. Try not to worry too much. Hang in there!!

digger

Reaction score
Make sure you change his water totally everyday with fresh dechlorinated water,
if you keep a bottle in the fridge this will ensure it is the same temperture

caoineadh

Reaction score
I have been changing his water completely, but nothing is happening. It is now five days in the frigde, and I can see the rocks making a square up against his back legs. How long can he go without food? I am afraid to feed him, and I am afraid not to. He just sits there, barely moving anymore.

digger

Reaction score
I am afraid there is nothing you can physically do for him.
You have to wait and hope that he is able to pass them.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been changing his water completely, but nothing is happening. It is now five days in the frigde, and I can see the rocks making a square up against his back legs. How long can he go without food? I am afraid to feed him, and I am afraid not to. He just sits there, barely moving anymore.

In conjunction with fridging he can go without food for three months.

b00f

Reaction score
im pretty sure if i swallowed a big rock, i wouldnt want my tummy rubbed

but follow the advice of these guys, fridge him, for a few days, ensuring you change his water daily and with some time and hope, maybe a bloodworm he should be back up and fighting fit once those pesky rocks pass

good luck dude,

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1