Floating axolotl -- urgent!

bronwyn08

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Bronwyn
I just bought one axolotl 5 days ago and hes currently in a 45L tank with fine sand, one plastic plant and a plastic cave and the water condition is fine.
2 days ago he seemed to start floating, he is swimming to the top of the water alot and cannot seem to stay on the bottom although he puts alot of effort into trying. The water is under 20C so im sure its not temperature. I thought maybe the filter was too strong so i turned it off for awhile but that didn't help. I thought maybe it was because he could see flashing lights from the tv, so i covered his tank with a towel but hes still swimming around not touching the bottom. I'm very worried about him, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with him?
Thanks in advance

Has he eaten? What has he eaten? And is his diet now different than it was before you got him?

He was fed glass shrimp at the shop i got him from, but they are quite expensive at the moment so i tired pellets but he refused to eat them. So two days ago he ate about 5 shrimp but i had to feed it to him from a kebab stick because they hide behind his filter if i drop them in the tank and seems to stress if i put my hands in the tank.

He might be floating because he might need to poo or burp. That can happen sometimes. Sorry I can't help more!

He often goes up and takes 'gulps' of air, could this cause the need for burping?

That can happen yes. My little ones do that sometimes. However, it might be wise just to check your water quality, just to make sure that there isn't another reason (lack of oxygen?? or something) for him to keep gulping air if he seems to be doing it too often.

i checked the pH levels and stuff but im unsure how to check oxygen levels

If your water is cold and flowing i would not concern yourself with oxygen levels.The important readings are NitrAte NitrIte and Ammonia.You need to get a testing kit that measures all these.The test tube kind are the best.
If you have only had him a few days the tank will not be cycled and therefore these levels will be all over the place.
Ammonia= 0
NitrIte=0
NitrAte=20/40
These are the ideals and important in keeping your axolotl healthy.
Every tank has to cycle.
You must remember not to use any chemical fixes with your tank just do regular 15-20% water changes, (every other day) using dechlorinated water and this will bring the levels right.
It can take a few days or it can take a few weeks for a tank to fully cycle but as long as you check the water every couple of days and do the water changes your axolotl should be fine.

I checked the levels a week ago and everything was perfefct, its quite strange he floats in the morning but when i come home in the afternoon he's settled and fine, i think his gills have curled a small amount but water currents couldnt be a problem as there isnt one, i obstructed it by facing it towards the wall. Maybe is it just a personal trait of his? and his gills are just curled by the stress of the move?
thankss!
Moe (The axolotl himself) says thankyou :)

You say you got him a week ago and this is when you did water checks, the tank will not have begun to cycle then please check every couple of days, without good water quality he will become ill.

Ok, ill check right away. I also figured out shes probably constipated as she hasnt been yet. She did twice in the fridge yesterday and stopped floating, but now shes back at it, so i've popped her back into the fridge, but i'll get ontop of my water checks. Thankyoou!

i've had this before in 2 forms. The first is when the Axie floats at the top and is not able to get down and the second is where the axies back end is floating and they walk around the tank doing a sort of hand stand. I've found that if you pop them in a tub with water only just deep enough to cover them and leave them over night the next day they will often have done a massive poo and be ok. I think its when they get a bit blocked up inside. Maybe backed up with shrimp shells? The shallow water stops them from floating up. It works for me anyhow!

Thats what i've been doing, but as soon as i put him back into the tank 12 hours later he is floating again, I hope i dont have to do this everytime he needs to do a poo!

Does your axolotl frequently make trips to the surface for air? Do you feed him/her at night?

so you've checked
- the water temperature is not too warm and does not fluctuate too greatly during the day
- the water is treated for chlorine etc.
- there is no ammonia present in the water and the nitrate isn't too high and PH is ok.
- the filter is working ok
- it's not too bright or loud(? I'm not sure to what extent noise can affect an axolotl)

Subjecting it to a lot of change may not help matters. If you're going to put it into refrigeration make sure it stays there for at least a few days and make sure that you let it adjust to room temperature before putting it back in it's tank. If it stops floating everytime after defecation then you may need to look into other food sources?

Keep watching it and look out for any signs of illness.

If it stops floating everytime after defecation then you may need to look into other food sources?

Hmmm, I think that I would be inclined to agree that perhaps the problem might be caused by food. Other then the shrimp that your axie ate a few days ago, has he eaten anything else? If so, what was it?

Have you seen this articule. If not, perhaps it might help with finding other foods to try.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

It kinda sounds like that he needs to 'fluff' or 'pass wind', hence he stops floating when he poos, or maybe he might be consitpated. Thats why I suggested the change of food. Just take the change slowly (some axolotls take a little while to accept a new food).

Good luck!!

I finished feeding him the shrimp almost a week ago and is now eating beef heart, he frequently goes to the top for water. I'm not going to feed him just beef heart, alot of people feed their axy's worms, so im on the hunt for them at the moment. He's still in the fridge and the water is very shallow but if i take the level down too much his back isn't covered by the water. I put the level up a tiny bit but now its at a level where he can just float of the ground. I also noticed he wont put the top of his head under the water and its becoming quite dry. I'm really not sure what to do with him, haha i just hope the fridge will sort him out!

I'm really not sure what to do with him, haha i just hope the fridge will sort him out!

Fridging is highly beneficial but must be done correctly. If the axolotl is transferred directly from the fridge to the tank without allowing the water time to adjust to room temperature first, the axolotl will be subjected to temperature shock which will stress him out and make him sick.

As Cake has advised, leave him in the fridge for a few days and do not transfer him to the tank until he is better. He can stay in the fridge for months if necessary.

While he is in the fridge, cover his container with a teatowel so he is not disturbed by the fridge light coming on and off.

His water needs to be changed 100% each day while he is in the fridge. Keep a couple of bottles or a jug of dechlorinated water in the fridge, this fridged water will be used for the water changes so the axie is kept at a constant temperature.

While in the fridge he will not be inclined to eat as his metabolism will be slowed down.

I checked the levels a week ago and everything was perfefct

While the tank is in the process of cycling, testing the water once a week is not sufficient as ammonia builds very quickly particuarly in a small tank.

May I ask what type of test kits you are using? The test tube kits are the most reliable. Test strips should be avoided as they are notorious for giving inaccurate readings and you really do need accuracy for axolotls.

When he is ready to move back into the tank, let his fridged container sit next to the tank and wait until the water temperatures of both container and tank are the same before putting him in the tank.

While back in the tank, you will need to test the water daily for Ammonia and do 10-20% daily water changes to control the Ammonia levels. Ammonia levels higher than '0' are toxic to the axolotl.

Axolotls release a lot of wastes (Ammonia).

Cycling cannot happen without Ammonia to feed the bacteria. The daily water changes dillute the ammonia levels to make the water condition 'livable' for the axolotl living in this water while it is cycling.

When the Ammonia and Nitrite read at a constant '0' and the Nitrate is between 10-60 the cycle is complete.

Cycling can take one to three months to complete. Once cycle is complete, partial water changes need only be done once weekly.

You may wish to consider doing a 'fishless' cycle while the axolotl is on holidays in the fridge :happy:. That way you don't need to worry about subjecting him to Ammonia Spikes.

This article describes both methods of cycling: http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

Cheers Jacq.

Floating or “tilting” in the water can be a sign of systemic problems. This behavior is different than the axolotls’ “hangout” posture, in which they appear to be suspended midtank. Hangout is normal axolotl behavior. When floating is a symptom of illness, the axolotl looks a bit hunched, sometimes with its back or tail out of the water at the surface. It seems sprawled out. Often it looks like it is leaning on one side. These signs can be an indication that there is some infection either effecting the animal’s equilibrium or producing extra gas.
I found that on floating axolotls. If it is bloat, It may be an idea to stop feeding him altogether for at least a few days and see what happens while he's in the fridge.

Sorry to be throwing all these different questions and suggestions at you!

Noo don't apologise I'm so thankful for everyones help and questions!
I'm getting the water tested at my pet shop who are using test tubes. I do biology at school so i check the colours against the chart to make sure they are telling me the correct reading. I might keep moe in the fridge until the tank has finished cycling, although this will annoy my mum haha. What is the coldest i can keep the fridge at, the water in his bowl seems freezing at the moment, so strange that they like temperatures like that! Moe is a very fussy eater and bearly eats even at a regular temperature so i doubt he will eat anything at that temperture. I really hope he gets better, i've already become so attached!
Also i've noticed a strange discolouring along the side of his face, its going a distinct yellow, this may just be a colour change for him and might not mean anything, but i never know!
Thanks so much for everyones help!

Try the fridge method
my axyl was doing that i put him in te fridge for 2 days and he was ok
but do what Jacq says!
you have to be very careful when they're in the fridge
good luck
TicTac x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back