Difference between boys and girls?

drmunroe

Reaction score
Country
Australia
My axies are now between 8-10cms long. I was just wondering how to tell boy from girl?
Ive noticed a obvious difference in head shape & was wondering if this was a way to tell? Some of them have a more rounded/pointed head, while others have a squared off, spade like head. My girlfriend seems to think the bigger squared of head axies are the males & the others the female.
It is a quite obvious difference between the 2 head types...

it that the only way to tell male from female? It's alittle ambiguous...

Yes. It's ambiguous. To be really specific, females lay eggs (sometimes) and males drop spermatophores (sometimes). Externally, they're not that different.

the only sure way of knowing the sex of an axie is the size of the cloaca (sp). This would apear in the males to be inlarged (bigger than the female) the cloaca is found behind the back legs, one either side. yet this may only develope when sexually mature. This can be determined easyer in albino axies as they will develope black toes, and the cloaca should form about a month after this. i belived my axie was female for almost ayear, but the cloaca has now developed. hope this helps.

P.S the head shape thing may just be a differnce, but does not indicate sexuallity. and sorry for any spelling mistakes

The size of the cloaca is subjective. I've had males with really small cloacas.

And at 8 and 10 cm, they're not sexually mature. You won't be able to tell until they're between 6 and 18 months old (usually 6 and 10 inches).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back