Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Adivce! | Please Help!!

oneatos

Reaction score
I know there are plenty of questions regarding cycling - and trust me, I've read through most of them. Yet, I still would like to get some advice on my issue.

I've been cycling my tank for almost a month now! I have been recording the numbers from the tests I've performed and have some questions.

Here are the numbers

Started with:
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 1
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5

The numbers have not varied much for almost a month now!:confused:

Last reading:
PH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Does this means my cycle has not started? Only ammonia and nitrates move. Ammonia from .025 - 1 and nitrate from 5-20!

One of my questions: Are my plants and/or ornaments affecting the cycling? (see attached photos)

Other Question: I found an aquarium shop that sells you aquarium ready water... Will this have the bacteria I need for the cycling?

I have four zebra danios - should I take them out? Are they helping the cycling?

Now - I was doing water changes every two or three days, stopped and don't know if I should or not because I don't want there to be little ammonia for the bacteria. Please advice.

I have some moss balls, java fern, some banana plant my sister bought me - are these fine?

I know I have many more questions - but I will leave it at this hoping to get a lot of answers and feedback. I really want to get it ready for two axolotls!

Cheers,

Ulysses

Attachments

• IMG00165.jpg
    IMG00165.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG00168.jpg
    IMG00168.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG00167.jpg
    IMG00167.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG00169.jpg
    IMG00169.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG00170.jpg
    IMG00170.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 119

coichards

Reaction score
I read somewhere that plants affect the cycling, they make the cycling skip the second step, probally why their is no Nitrite, try taking the plants out

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Oneatos,

Plants as you may have noticed will slow the nitrification process down as the plants are eating the ammonia that is needed to feed the bacteria (plants don't like to share ;)).

It may be easier to remove the plants while the tank is cycling and then put back them in once cycle is complete.

The Zebra Danios are cycling the tank for you by providing wastes (ammonia) to feed the cycle, so yes keeping them in the tank is helping the cycle.

The other method is known as 'fishless cycling' which is to cycle the tank with dead matter such as 'frozen brine shrimp, bloodworm, small bit of meat, etc).

If you have living creatures living in the tank while it is cycling, it is essential to conduct water changes to keep the ammonia levels tolerable for the animals (the fish) living in this water.

Another option is to let the plants provide the service of clearing the ammonia. Others who have actually done this would be in a better position to advise on this method's effectiveness as I've never done it this way myself.

Your ornaments as well as the filter and other tank surfaces are providing a home for the beneficial bacteria to colonise. If the ornaments feel 'slimey' this is good as it means the bacterias are developing.

coichards

Reaction score
Sorry for stealing you post but is the slimyness of the rocks, ornaments, filter because of the bacteria and not the slime coat?:wacko:

oneatos

Reaction score
Well I felt some ornaments and they feel slimy! :D

So, if I take the plants out and place them in a fish bowl... will they be ok just in the fish bowl?:confused:

oneatos

Reaction score
This is interesting - I will see how I can take the plants out... will plants survive in a fish bowl with no filter?

I read somewhere that plants affect the cycling, they make the cycling skip the second step, probally why their is no Nitrite, try taking the plants out

Neke

Reaction score
I kept java fern and java moss in a plastic storage container full of water while my tank was cycling - I don't know if this is bad for them or not but they survived, although they did look a bit worse for wear.

Cake

Reaction score
During a silent cycle, the levels of bacteria will typically be very low and the nitrogen will instead be consumed by the plants. This is still a comparatively unusual cycling method. According to some aquarists the plants will not only efficiently cycle the aquarium, but also decrease the spikes in nitrate and ammonia levels that are often seen during the more common cycling methods.

I found that on a search for 'silent cycle'. I have never used this method, so I'm not familiar with it but check for any nitrate in your tank and you should have ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm. I think cycling normally takes between 30-60 days.

Hope that helps.

oneatos

Reaction score
THank You! It's been a month now and I have never gotten nitrite readings. I have Ammonia and Nitrates - so I am not sure what is happening :confused:

I found that on a search for 'silent cycle'. I have never used this method, so I'm not familiar with it but check for any nitrate in your tank and you should have ammonia and nitrite at 0ppm. I think cycling normally takes between 30-60 days.

Hope that helps.

oregon newt

Reaction score
If you really want to get it done quick, then you could get a product known as BioSpira or Tetra Safestart. It contains live bacteria cultures. This is the only kind that works, though.

Neke

Reaction score
Has the nitrate been rising, or has it been staying the same? I don't know much about the silent cycle, but I did a fish-less cycle and my nitrate just jumped up overnight - its a waiting game.

Mine finished cycling after 41 days. Instead of going through all 3 phases, am I right in assuming that during a silent cycle it converts the ammonia into nitrate without the nitrite showing up? If this is the case, then I guess the plants are just eating up the excess and keeping the water at a safe level, so you can't monitor what it's doing. You shouldn't have significant amounts of nitrate until you are nearing the end of your cycle (or I didn't anyway) so if the nitrate has risen maybe that's an indication that you're nearly finished.

I cycled my guppy tank with the fish in it and it was impossible to keep the ammonia and nitrite low - at least your fish shouldn't be suffering if the plants are removing most of it. With fish and filter media in there I can't imagine that nothing would be happening.

Here are some of my readings if it makes you feel better

day 22 - day 32
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 3
nitrate - 5

day 33
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 3
nitrate - 40

then it stayed at 40 for a week and the nitrite dropped a bit each day until it was all gone. The nitrate is the end result - just imagine all that stuff going on in the background. As soon as the ammonia is 0 you're done - give it another week or so :happy:

Adding water from an already cycled tank will speed it up, but I'm not sure I would trust an aquarium to sell you water that is both free from nasty things and properly cycled. They might just put dechlorinator in it and charge you a bundle, or they could be taking it from a tank that had sick fish in it - you'd have to check it out properly.

oneatos

Reaction score
Thank you - I will look for any of these products and see how they work.

If you really want to get it done quick, then you could get a product known as BioSpira or Tetra Safestart. It contains live bacteria cultures. This is the only kind that works, though.

oneatos

Reaction score
The nitrate started at about 5... I have seen it go up to 20. I have done water changes and has been reading about 10 for about two weeks.

As far as the silent cycling - I think that is the way it goes... but since ammonia is still between .5-1.0 I dont know if I have enough plants in there - so I was thinking of getting some more... my other option would be to see if the cycle completes and ammonia goes away. THAT IS MY BIGGEST DILEMMA!

Has the nitrate been rising, or has it been staying the same? I don't know much about the silent cycle, but I did a fish-less cycle and my nitrate just jumped up overnight - its a waiting game.

Mine finished cycling after 41 days. Instead of going through all 3 phases, am I right in assuming that during a silent cycle it converts the ammonia into nitrate without the nitrite showing up? If this is the case, then I guess the plants are just eating up the excess and keeping the water at a safe level, so you can't monitor what it's doing. You shouldn't have significant amounts of nitrate until you are nearing the end of your cycle (or I didn't anyway) so if the nitrate has risen maybe that's an indication that you're nearly finished.

I cycled my guppy tank with the fish in it and it was impossible to keep the ammonia and nitrite low - at least your fish shouldn't be suffering if the plants are removing most of it. With fish and filter media in there I can't imagine that nothing would be happening.

Here are some of my readings if it makes you feel better

day 22 - day 32
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 3
nitrate - 5

day 33
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 3
nitrate - 40

then it stayed at 40 for a week and the nitrite dropped a bit each day until it was all gone. The nitrate is the end result - just imagine all that stuff going on in the background. As soon as the ammonia is 0 you're done - give it another week or so :happy:

Adding water from an already cycled tank will speed it up, but I'm not sure I would trust an aquarium to sell you water that is both free from nasty things and properly cycled. They might just put dechlorinator in it and charge you a bundle, or they could be taking it from a tank that had sick fish in it - you'd have to check it out properly.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
What are you adding as an ammonia source? I can't figure out why you still have ammonia at this stage, especially when you have live plants. Are you using test strips, or liquid tests?

oneatos

Reaction score
I am using liquid tests - not strips. Right now the ammonia source are four zebra danios that I have in the tank.

What are you adding as an ammonia source? I can't figure out why you still have ammonia at this stage, especially when you have live plants. Are you using test strips, or liquid tests?

oneatos

Reaction score
Has anyone here heard or used "one and only" Nitrifying Bacteria. Made by DrTim... appearently Dr. Tim Hovanec who created biospira came out with his own product line.

Let me know what you guys think or know about it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!