Tail Cut

wargar

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Dave
One of my CFB newts cut it's tail yesterday. It was caused by getting caught up in the hood. I've now put wire mesh between the top of the tank and the hood to prevent this happening again. It has since stayed out of the water on the cork bark land area. Is there anything I can put on it to stop infection or is it best to leave it and hope it will naturally be OK.

Thanks

Dave

Do you have any picture for us to see how severe the wound is? How healthy was the newt before it get hurt? I will probably let it be and observe any changes to the wound first. If it get worse, then I will try to treat it based on the syndrome.

However, how long have you got the newt? What is causing your newt to attempt escape and now staying out of water? My newts do not attempt to escape at all, especially when they are established to the tank. If there is water quality issue, I wound suggest working on that, since poor environment might leads to infection to the wound.

Thanks for the reply, They are all new only 3 days in the tank when it happened. The water quality is fine and the tank had cycled for 2 months before they went in. There are 6 and the other 5 seem happy in the water, all had entered the water within 12 hrs except this one.

I have quarantined it in a smaller tank at the moment but there seems to be no sign of infection. The wound actually looks a bit better now and it seems as though the skin is regrowing. It has spent short periods in the water and I've seen it take food.

when injured they do sometimes come out of the water so its natural behavior dont worry about it.

hope it heals well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back