changing tank set up

stuandjoy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to change the set up of our tank this weekend. We have a few questions about how best to do this.

1. We're getting rid of the nasty pebbles and replacing this with sand. Play sand is the best thing right?

2. We plan to get some new fake plants. Should we keep the old plants that are in at the min to help with cycling?

3. What kinds of things can we use as hides? Decent sized ones (ones that look like rocks or similar) from pet shops where we live are real expensive.

4. What should we do with our axie while we do this and how soon can we put her back in the tank?

5. Our tank is 30x12x12 inches and holds about 18.5 uk gallons (if my math is right). We have a Fluval 1plus filter. Is the filter adequate for the size of tank? And, should we be using a spray bar?

We're sure there's other things that we need to ask but cant think at the minute (toddler running round like a lunatic doesn't help with brain function lol)

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!!

Last edited:
1.) Play sand is good. Pool filter sand is good. No substrate is okay. Everything is better than gravel!

2.) you have old fake plants? Yes, I would leave them in there, and add the new ones. Then as the bacteria grow, you can remove the old ones. By the by, I love silk plants. They're so much harder to kill than real ones!

3.) Clay pots. Simple, unglazed terra cotta. These can be broken in half or in big chunks. Just make sure the edges aren't sharp. I usually soak mine for 24 hours and give them a good scrub, in case something got on them during shipping/in the store.

4.) A big bowl is fine. The sand may take 24 hours to settle. So as long as you keep her in some clean water, and make sure she doesn't jump out (a lid is great). I've used gladware, tupperware, and rubbermaid with no ill effects. Anything food-grade should be fine.

5.) I can't say about the capacity of the filter. But as far as a spray bar is concerned, if you notice excess movement of the water (plants swaying, gills swaying, sand moving), you probably have too much current, and should use a spray bar.

Be careful with plastic plants, i had some one time and they were a bit pointy and sharp and my steve cut him self quite badly. Took them out right away, and he healed up right nice.
Play sand is nice and soft but i found it a little fine when i had it in with my frogs. when they moved around it created plumes and clouds and covered everything with sand. I got some aquarium sand from my local aquatics place for my axie tank and found it much better and it looks nice in darker colours.
I have a tank about the same size as yours where my big man steve lives and i have a fluval plus 2 filter (next size up from yours) and find that it works perfectly, not sure if the plus 1 would work well enough (read the manual, it'll tell you if its suitable). I also run a spray bar and find it works really well.

Adam, that's a great point. Plastic plants aren't necessarily good. That's why I recommend silk. Less 'pointy'.

Be careful with plastic plants, i had some one time and they were a bit pointy and sharp and my steve cut him self quite badly.

Oh dear, that's no good. Did you have the ones which can be dismantled? I had a look at those before and I do recall them having 'points' on them. I have the ones that are set in stone which don't seem to have pointy bits or bits that come apart so I think those ones would be ok? I would like to get the silk ones though, they look nicer.

Thanks for the replies guys. We'll definately get silk plants, they look better than plastic anyway. We'll be sorting the tank this weekend and will post some pics when we're done. Thanks again x

Yeah, we're going to take her out while we're making the changes. Don't want to stress her too much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back