Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amphibian friendly garden plants

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In my garden at home, we have a section of flower bed that is due to be planted up sometime next year. I have already succeeded in creadting a small amphibian-friendly but aesthetically pleasing pond area, and want to influence the choice of bedding plants in the same direction.
The flower bed is moderately shady and moderately damp (neither very wet nor very dry), and is alongside a fence.
What are a good choice of plants that will be good for amphibians, look fairly nice in terms of flowers and not require too much attention with regards to weeding etc?

I live in southern England, just south of London.

Chris

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know about nice looking, but something with a lot of leaves in the water for them to lay their eggs on. Water lettuce is popular here (I know it's invasive but people use it in gardens) and has a lot of floating roots, they might be easy to lay eggs on.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant terrestrial plants for the flower bed near to the pond, rather than in the water itself.

berksmike

Reaction score
Certainly in my garden hostas seem to attract slugs from the next county! A few sacrificial hostas deep in the bed (away from sight if they get too battered) certainly would provide a food supply.
I always keep a pile of logs in a corner and let them rot - this attracts so much wildlife particularly invertebrates but also things like frogs, toads, newts and slow worms. I saw on Autumnwatch on BBC2 that you can use logs to construct a hibernaculum for amphibians to overwinter in.
I am also thinking about building a pond but that may have to wait a while in this weather!

optimist

Reaction score
Creeping jenny does well, and ferns. im in hampshire -- so same climate -- and frogs, toads and newts use my pond.

Tappers

Reaction score
Hostas and ferns are always great. I use Bergenia (elephant ears?) as well - great evergreen cover for amphibians as well as Carex 'bowles golden' planted with Heuchera 'plum pudding' all slug proof and good looking.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I would add Fragaria(strawberry) to the list, it´s not slug proof but it provides great cover, as it is short but dense. Plus you get to eat some strawberries which is always nice xDD

hunter

Reaction score
I would like to emphasize the idea of placing some debris and small logs in the back of a garden.
I keep a nice pile of logs, old timbers, broken pots, etc. along the back fence. I leave them alone and undisturbed. They are completely unnoticed, except by lots of lacal critters. I do not get worse pest problems, but I am getting lots of rio grande chriping frogs(Syrrhopus cystignathoides campi), green tree frogs (Hyla cinerea), various local toads, lots of mediterranean geckos, and small brown snakes and skinks. The numbers have increased noticeably since I started this. I think they are not only attracted to the living space, but to the inverts that live inthe debris. Another important aspect is to not use many harsh chemicals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1