Country
Canada
Hi
we rescued a Blue Spotted Salamander from a Cow Trough full of water
it will be 2 weeks coming Monday
we gave it live worms but they fell off the stick and rock and drowned
I bought newt / Salamander Pellets from the Pet store
It hasn't eatten Anything it will be 2 weeks
it does move around the tank some of the day but mostly squishes itself on the side of the tank partly in water and partly out
I change the water every other day by sucking out with a medicine dropper so I disturb it as least as possible
I have small stones at one end out of the water and 2 rocks out of the water at the other end and a stick out of the water

Its almost winter so finding live food will be a challenge soon
I hoped the pellets might work

How long before it eats?
To hand feed it how do you keep it from running off -I know you can't touch it.....?

thanks

Re: Help- Blue Spotted Salamander not eatting

quick question what set-up have u got it in. if the worm are drowning thats way too much water. they need an adult tiger salamander style set-up (although it can be a bit smaller) http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Ambystoma/A_tigrinum.shtml

also most wont take pellets try live worms, pillbugs, roaches, crickets and waxworms as a treat

and with feeding be patient or just leave the food in there it'll find it. its probably not eating due to the stress of capture and its new habitat (which no offence doesn't sound correct this might be making it less likely to eat)

once they come out of there shells i hear they are fantastic feeders, (i hope to find out soon as im getting some in a few days)

hope this helps

Re: Help- Blue Spotted Salamander not eatting

Blue spotted salamanders are terrestrial animals, and keeping it in a semi-aquatic setup isn't a good idea. A setup with cocofiber or other substrate would work well, and some leaves or something to hide under would go well.

Worms would be a good food item, you should be able to get them from bait shops, pet stores, or even Wal Mart.

Though it might be a better idea to just release him where you found him (out of water, of course).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back