Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

anybody know where i can buy a axolotl in wisconsin or chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario213

Reaction score
hi i have been searching to buy a axolotl but cant find
anybody have any feedback?

madeve

Reaction score
You could always post an ad here or wait a couple months when axies will start breeding and people will have lots of eggs available.

bellag26

Reaction score
can you let me know if you find out where to get them in chicago

crazyfishlady

Reaction score
I too have been searching the chicagoland area for axolotls for the past year. The previous pet shops where I found them have not had them since. Now that they face extinction I'm sure it's even going to be harder to find. On the plus side, I went into a shop located in Mokena, IL and talked to one of the sales clerks and he's actually working on getting some in very soon. He told me to check back in a couple of weeks. http://www.aquaticenvironmentsmokena.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They don't face extinction. In fact, there are millions of them in captivity. They face extinction in the wild from habitat loss, and have for many years. This isn't a new development.

Many of the people on this site give away axolotls FOR FREE! You just have to pay shipping. Go check out the 'for sale' section.

crazyfishlady

Reaction score
Oh wow! That's some exciting news! Thank you!

Also, I had no idea there were that many in captivity. Anytime I talk about an axolotl most people have not even heard of them and I'm also talking about other fish keepers. Other friends and family members have been emailing me all the information like it's breaking news that they are going extinct and it has also been on some fish forums recently. So, I'm sorry, my bad, I guess I should have done more research before posting but, I have not found that many websites relating to axolotls.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They are CITES II listed, but that doesn't mean they're 'endangered'. It means their international trade is regulated because of their habitat loss. But this habitat loss started hundreds of years ago, when development started around Mexico City. It's certainly not a new development. Trust me, there are millions of them, and they aren't going extinct. I've got dozens at my house right now. They breed like rabbits.

www.axolotl.org is the best axolotl site out there. But maybe I'm biased. ;)

Jake

Reaction score
If you're willing to wait 6-8 weeks I'll have some axolotls ready to go. I'm in the chicagoland area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1