Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Floating Newt

Repguy27

Reaction score
I have a Cynops Pyrrhogaster and he has been doing very well but today, I did a partial water change and now he is floating at the top of the water. What is wrong?

A

achiinto

It is quite normal to happen to aquatic newts. Highly oxygenated water from a new water change can trapped between the linings on the newt's skin. Thus, it started floating. After a while, your newt should be recovered from it. A newt with dry skin entering water will have this issue as well. I have also heard about some harmless bacterias causing gas to form in the newts, which I think is temporary. Anyhow, I have never encounter the 3rd case. Sometime if a newt is not filled up with food, they might float as well, from my observation.

I guess, with more people sharing some comments, you can get a better picture. For now, I can tell you that this should be normal and no need to worry. I have observed this many times in my Cynop Orientalis.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!