Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Size and eating?

broadbent30

Reaction score
hey all,

i have 3 axolotls which i have had for quite some time, my 2 females are fine not a problem
but my male seams odd???

he dose not eat very much at all and does not seam to be growing...
they were all the same size when i got them but my male is tiny compaired to the female?

so my question are:

1. is it ok for him to eat very little
and
2. are males normaly smaller then females

thanks

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Size and eatting?

How long is "quite some time", and what were the animal's sizes/ages when you got them? Males are approximately the same size as females, although females tend to be a bit more plump and sometimes have a slight edge in length as well.

How large is the tank? Territorial issues could be part of the problem. Or he may just be "different" - slower growing.

broadbent30

Reaction score

How long is "quite some time", and what were the animal's sizes/ages when you got them? Males are approximately the same size as females, although females tend to be a bit more plump and sometimes have a slight edge in length as well.

How large is the tank? Territorial issues could be part of the problem. Or he may just be "different" - slower growing.

i would say about 2 months, the two females are about 35cm and the male about 20cm
they were old enough to lay eggs the day i got them ;) so im not really sure

the tanks is 50l and they have 2 hiding places but for some reason they all stick together most of the time???

also my male is floating every now and then, while looking quite upset about it??? does any one know if i kind gently push his bum down would that help the air come out??? sounds crazy i know

broadbent30

Reaction score
my crazy idea worked?????

i know your not ment to handle your axolotl's but mine dont seam to mind the odd hand to play with here and there???

i just gave him a soft push on his back to make his mouth face up and then he burped three times and sank to the bottom :p

they just got a little snack also seams how its 11pm and they are ment to be sleeping lol
(yes i know they are active at night :D)

Neke

Reaction score
Hey Broadbent,
Depending on the dimensions of the tank, I'm guessing 50L might just be big enough for 1 adult but definitely not 3. A rough guideline is to have at least 18 inches of floor space per axolotl. Also, you should have roughly 2 hides for each one. I can't tell you what's wrong with them or how good/bad it is to handle them, but I can say that it's very likely you will have problems caused by water quality issues in such a small space.

broadbent30

Reaction score
Hey Broadbent,
Depending on the dimensions of the tank, I'm guessing 50L might just be big enough for 1 adult but definitely not 3. A rough guideline is to have at least 18 inches of floor space per axolotl. Also, you should have roughly 2 hides for each one. I can't tell you what's wrong with them or how good/bad it is to handle them, but I can say that it's very likely you will have problems caused by water quality issues in such a small space.

i can agree with the tank size, im ment to be getting a bigger one soon thou that way ill b able to have far more hides and plants and stuff for them, my water levels seam ok though i do clean / test it alot just to make sure cus it is a smaller tank

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hi Broadbent,

i would say about 2 months, the two females are about 35cm and the male about 20cm
they were old enough to lay eggs the day i got them ;) so im not really sure

the tanks is 50l and they have 2 hiding places but for some reason they all stick together most of the time???

Three large axolotls in a 50 litre tank, I think them sticking together is a little unavoidable. :happy:

also my male is floating every now and then, while looking quite upset about it??? does any one know if i kind gently push his bum down would that help the air come out??? sounds crazy i know

Floating has many causes, not just gas. Axolotls will also float due to water quality issues, temperture stress, water movement stress, impaction, etc.

Has the axolotl ever been on gravel? He may have a stone that he is trying to pass (axolotls can retain a stone for months before it shifts).

Is there any water current going on in the tank?

If he is floating often, it's best to fridge him or place him in a container in a cool place. Put in enough water to cover his back and allow him to touch the ground but not float. It can take a few days for an axolotl to destress.

i know your not ment to handle your axolotl's but mine dont seam to mind the odd hand to play with here and there???

It's fine to let the axolotl give you a nip or a curiosity nuzzle, but you should not handle him.

i just gave him a soft push on his back to make his mouth face up and then he burped three times and sank to the bottom :p

Touching an axolotl's skin can affect his slimecoat, the axolotl should only be handled if absolutely necessary. The slimecoat is the axolotl's primary defence against illness and should not be tampered with.

Axolotls also have very senstive skin and bruise very easily.

Are you doing daily partial water changes? This is essential as three axolotls will be releasing a lot of waste in that confined space.

With Summer heat approaching with a vengeance in Australia, it is imperative the water quality not be an issue when the water starts to warm up.

broadbent30

Reaction score

Hi Broadbent,

Has the axolotl ever been on gravel?

Is there any water current going on in the tank?

If he is floating often?

Are you doing daily partial water changes?

1. only on some big pebbels 1cm - 2cm and if he got one of them down i would be suprised he is very small

2. there is a little current from a small submersible filtter but it is not too extreme

3. even now and then and some time 2 - 3 times a day

4. %20 every second day with a good clean out

Neke

Reaction score
If the stones were smaller than his head there's a good chance he's managed to stick one in his mouth. They're as bad as small children.

And if there's any water flow at all that could be upsetting them. I use an internal filter, and I tried obstructing it with plants and rocks, pointed it a different way, turned it right down - they still hated it. Try using a spray bar, or at least put something in the way to break up the flow.

Also, what is the temperature? We've had some stinkers lately.

broadbent30

Reaction score
If the stones were smaller than his head there's a good chance he's managed to stick one in his mouth. They're as bad as small children.

And if there's any water flow at all that could be upsetting them. I use an internal filter, and I tried obstructing it with plants and rocks, pointed it a different way, turned it right down - they still hated it. Try using a spray bar, or at least put something in the way to break up the flow.

Also, what is the temperature? We've had some stinkers lately.

maybe a stone but i would think that would make him sink??? lol

they dont seam to mind the filter i have it just below the water line and it is pointing up so there is hardly any current and its turned down also :confused:

the temp is the coldest all week and im quite suprised 17.2 thou it has been around the 19 - 21 make the last few days???

he is swiming about at the moment having a good time by the looks of it:p

broadbent30

Reaction score
now he is floating again,

when i put him in the fridge, can i just move him from the tank to fresh water and place him in the fridge with a towel over to keep the light out???

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
now he is floating again,

when i put him in the fridge, can i just move him from the tank to fresh water and place him in the fridge with a towel over to keep the light out???

Yes, use fresh dechlorinated water and put him in a container that will allow him to stretch out to his full length. Put enough water to cover him entirely but not so much water that he cannot touch the ground.

His water will need to be fully changed daily. Keep a jug or bottles of fresh dechlorinated water in the fridge, these will be used for his water changes to keep the temperature constant for him and not subject him to temperature shock.

I would leave him in the fridge for a few days to let him 'unwind' if he is stressed. If he has impaction caused by gravel, the fridge will aid him in passing the stone.

Set fridge for at least 5 degrees celcius, no lower than this if you can.

A teatowel wrapped his container will keep the light from bugging him yes. :happy:

Neke

Reaction score
I think that's about right... do a quick search through the forums for fridging if you want to make sure.

Have you put them in there before? Make sure you test the temperature first by putting a cup of water or something in the fridge for about 20 minutes (I think that's right). Mine was insanely cold and I didn't realize - it was 2 degrees on the medium setting, and it should be above 5. If it's too cold, try different shelves to see if the temp is different before you turn the fridge up. The only way I could get mine above 5 was to throw out the food, leave the door open a crack and turn the fridge up as high as it would go.

broadbent30

Reaction score
thanks for the info ill let you know how i go,
i found him floating again this morning and now he is at the bottom again very odd...

Neke

Reaction score
I swear it's only in Australia, nobody else seems to have dramas with their fridges. Be careful... I tried to turn mine up to 'max' and then later realized I'd actually turned it down.

broadbent30

Reaction score
I swear it's only in Australia, nobody else seems to have dramas with their fridges. Be careful... I tried to turn mine up to 'max' and then later realized I'd actually turned it down.

its taken a few days but now it sits at 5 degrees and that fridge is in my garage which is alot warm then inside??? may have to crack it open a bit i want to aim for 8 or 9

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1