Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help, ambystoma Opacum Dying

Reaction score
Yesterday night I found My small Ambystoma opacum, upside down and with the mouth full of soil. I cleaned his mouth and put hem on a quarantine terrarium between the moss. But he only can move his tail, the rest is almost dye.

He live in a 80x40cm terrarium with another opacum and a couple of Tylototriton Shangin all of the same size. It is not due to a fight. The rest of inhabitants where in the same place in the morning (it is to cold to move).

Do you have any idea of what could it happend?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
An obvious problem is that the two species should not be kept in the same enclosure - your opacum may have fallen victim to a "species mixing disaster".

Your Tylototritons produce toxins that could be lethal to the opacums:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/toxin2.shtml

Please review this article of problems associated with mixing species:

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/toxin2.shtml

I would recommend that you immediately remove the ambytomas and place them in a separate container. To monitor what is occuring with them, I would set up a hospital tank. Used unbleached moistened paper towels as your substrate (i.e., wetted with dechlorinated water or spring water). It may be too late for the one opacum. These toxins cause paralysis which is consistent with your description that the opacum cannot move.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s possible there was an exchange of pathogens in that cage. I assume both species are WC...so it´s perfectly possible that some pathogen the Tylos are resistant to, has infected your opacum. I think you´re making a big big mistake housing this two species together....
Of course the illness might have other causes....but you took a big risk there, and chances are you are paying the price.

Reaction score
Think is more an intoxication. It is the first thinking I had. Even I was lookig for insecticides all around.

I had never mix especies before, but I did not think in this case, as they where of the same size it would be a problem.

They have been together for 6 month, but I think the opacum have decided to bite the tylotriton.That would explain why he has been eaten soil, to avoid the burn feelling in his mouth. And it also goes with such a extrange paralisation.

The cuestion now is, Do you know any antidote?

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There is no antidote or specific drug treatment for tetrodotoxin poisoning. In humans, treatment consists of supportive therapy, IV fluid therapy, maintaining oxygenation and evacuation of GI contents where the toxin was ingested. The paralysis is progressive and death is generally secondary to cardiac complications or respiratory paralysis. The level of exposure is also related to the outcome as is early treatment.

If you have the ability to do so, you should take the animal to a vet who may be able to offer assistance. Regardless of the potential cause (toxicity, pathogen, etc.) you have a sick animal. In the mean time, I would keep him in a moist, cool hospital environment as described above away from any other stressors and lights.

Good luck

Reaction score
Too late.

When arrived home for lunch he was dye.

I have tested myself the risk of mixing species. I didn't think it was going to be so important.

Thanks to all.

Reaction score
Thanks Jan.

At least it has been usefull as learning for me and hope for the rest.

Hes family would think is to high price for my formation.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I´m very sorry you lost it...
I agree the price is very high, specially since mixing is a very discussed matter and i think there´s no need for self experimentation....
I´m sure you´ll make sure not to repeat the mistake though.

newtons13

Reaction score
I just wanted to stop by and offer my condolences. I'm sorry you lost your newt. I'm going through that now myself. Take care.

Rachel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1