Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

what's the best water depth for "cooling"

jbherpin

Reaction score
I have 2 Eastern Newts (1 male, 1 female). I keep them in the back room of my house that has a sliding-glass door as the rear wall. The temperatures get 45-55 degrees F in the "dead" of winter. I know this species will tolerate the cold, but how deep should I keep the water to fascilitate the ideal winter water depth for this species? I would assume they would go to deeper water and away from the shore in the wild...Is this right? The reason I asked is that they are in about 5 inches of water now. The temps drop low at night but the day warms up a little still. The male's tail is already widening, and he has his black nuptial-pads on his toes and inner-thighs! I caught him blocking the female, and Tail-Waving at her. It was really cool to see.
Lastly, I've been away a while and it's nice to be back!:happy:
-jbherpin-

slowfoot

Reaction score
I'd give them at least 10 inches of water, but it sounds like the temps you have will be fine. I don't really know anything about depth preferences in wild newts, but I imagine they would experience much cooler temps than your captive newts will be exposed to. Smaller amounts of water will give you more temperature fluctuations, so I'd add more anyway, just to even it out.

Are you trying to get them to breed? To do that, I'd make sure you have a lot of plants in the tank. My females prefer using elodea that's floating at the surface for egg-laying.

jbherpin

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I thought I should provide more depth, but I wanted a second opinion. I would like to breed them...I am fearful though. I believe I could achieve this(breeding and raising), but I don't intend to keep ALL surviving babies. The problem is that I've read that the sale of indigenious species is illegal. What I mean is that since Eastern Newts naturally occur in Ohio, I am barred from out-sourcing to a local pet shop or even distributing to local buyers. This would leave me with many larvals to raise(tediously), and no potential means to support such a large scale operation, and no means to disperse them. I would love to keep perhaps 6 total, but the naturalist in me wants to ensure that the life cycles(cooling, breeding, etc.) are allowed. I would never release juveniles into the wild because I house many exotics, and also enjoy studying local wild populations and wouldn't like to see MY actions compromise the health of ANY species occurring locally. So I guess the problem is, how do I breed for private satisfaction and not "WASTE" remaining larva? Are there legal ways to sell the off-spring?
I am afraid that they'll breed and I'll be left to make an uneducated decision. Any one's input would be greatly desired and appreciated!
In case you didn't read initial post my male is showing signs of the beginings of breeding condition and my female eats ravenously and is showing signs of becoming gravid. I have, indeed, good long leaf, live plants, and have chosen to take the advice of Slowfoot. I think it makes sense considering where they came from. Sorry for making this a "chapter" instead of a reply, but I am particularly fond of this species. This is a species I have personally kept since early childhood, and I love my Noto's!
Thank you for enduring,
-jbherpin-:D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What you've read and what is actually true may be different. I would contact your local Fish and Game department and ask what the regulations are on the sale of native animals.

jbherpin

Reaction score
What you've read and what is actually true may be different. I would contact your local Fish and Game department and ask what the regulations are on the sale of native animals.

Thanks a lot! I truly thought it was a fact. Will the F&G department be able to furnish accurate information? I have tried to get something as simple as maps of certain areas from my local metro-parks, and they gave me the most grainy, blurred, sattelite images. They had no record of local ponds...It seems as though my state is not interested in sharing, or, not interested in THESE creatures. I guess, in short, I don't trust the info they'd give. I will try the F&G department as suggested. I haven't conacted them before, hopefully they are more enlightened...
Thanks again!
-jbherpin-

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As far as laws, they're the ones that regulate it, so they should know.

And as far as information... The government tends to not hand over information very readily. And they just may not know. They're not omnipotent. Lack of funding really cuts into information.

jbherpin

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie, and a good point made in the funding regard. The only real "quam" I have is that they gave me special permits to study and identify species, but seemed unwilling to furnish anything to assist in my success. I think you are right that they probably, simply, did not have the site maps, or other info I was HOPING for. I guess I was mostly let down by the lack of interest, and info available. In short, thanks for reminding me of the full picture.
-jbherpin-

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Unwilling, or unable? Sometimes the information just isn't available.

jbherpin

Reaction score
Thanks Kaysie, and a good point made in the funding regard. The only real "quam" I have is that they gave me special permits to study and identify species, but seemed unwilling to furnish anything to assist in my success. I think you are right that they probably, simply, did not have the site maps, or other info I was HOPING for. I guess I was mostly let down by the lack of interest, and info available. In short, thanks for reminding me of the full picture.
-jbherpin-

I agreed, not so clearly though...

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Regarding excess offspring, it's probably legal for you to sell them in other states. Just a thought.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1