Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

heyyy everyone from PA

briannashea

Reaction score
hey fellow animal loversssss
I joined because I recently fell in love with axolotls and I'm hoping to get one soon and wanted to get lots of information before I get one. I'm a college student studying zoology and I currently live with my 2 dogs, a chihuahua and a rottweiler-german shep mutt, and my very talented and outgoing red ear slider turtle. I also recently had a baby uromastyx who sadly passed away as he was sold to me with a parasite but I'm getting a new one soon.

any axy owners or other salamander owners who find other species more enjoyable as pets please post lots and lots of info - I've been doing research and such but I think it's better to hear from devoted pet parents like me who register on lots of forums to talk to other people about their pets :)

I have a spare 10 gal tank and lots of people have told me it's big enough for an axy, but if not I'd like to fill it so what kind of newt or 'mander do you recommend?

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Briannashea,

Welcome to the forum!

In my zoo I have eight axolotls, two dogs, two cats, one peachface, and five fish and love them all in their individual mad ways...most of the time. :rolleyes:

A ten gallon tank will house one axolotl fine, but no more than one.

If you haven't read this already, it tells you everything on the care of an axolotl: http://www.axolotl.org/

Cheers Jacq.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, Brianna. Your 10-gallon tank could house one axolotl, or a small group of some type of newt. The main requirement for most species is cool temperature, so consider what the max temp in the tank will be next summer. This may limit your choice of species. Also consider whether you prefer a fully-aquatic tank or a semi-aquatic tank (which is usually shallower water with some type of land area).

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Their are quite a few from Pa. on here. If you are anywhere close to Hamburg, Pa. you should check out one of the reptile shows. The next one is Dec. 6. Their are always salamanders for sale their. It's a slow time to be looking for axolotls. Mine should start laying eggs in about 1 month.

Monocle

Reaction score
Hey, Brianna!

I'm also a college student living in Pa, and looking for an axie for a ten gallon tank :D! I'm currently setting up the tank, and cycling it so that if ever someone in the area (Maybe you Michael?) has any they're willing to part with, I can introduce him/her to his/her tank right away. You're lucky your college lets you keep non-aquatic pets.

Are you interested in any colour type of axie? (I'm partial to melanistic and leucistic myself)

-Kat

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hey, Brianna!

if ever someone in the area (Maybe you Michael?) has any they're willing to part with, I can introduce him/her to his/her tank right away. You're lucky your college lets you keep non-aquatic pets.

-Kat

I'm setting up some more axolotl tanks and expect to raise more this year. It's just to early in the season for me. Late winter early spring their should be plenty of axolotls around.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1