Question: Axolotl Food?

morrisseybond

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Display Name
Morrissey
I'm wondering if I can get any Axolotl food/pellets on the net? I used to use the green pellets, but the shop here no longer import them, i'm trying to find on the site but however no result...would any one can tell me some information if I may order online?

Thanks in Advance!:p

You don't need to splash out on axolotl pellets... They are perfectly happy eating earthworms dug up from the garden which you can cut up if they have problems. I would also say soak them for a while to leach out any pesticides. I feed my axies frozen minnows which they love, there are plenty of cheaper and more readily available alternatives to pellets which I would advise you try. x

Well I use Aqua Master Axolotl pellets, you can order these online from Australia, actually the postage will probably cost more than the product ! But I am sure you can find some thing similar on line from your own country.

Thanks very much, I will try to look on the net as well.

However, earhtworms doesn't work for me, as it's pretty difficult to find/buy earthworms here in Hong kong, it seems so not popular.

I used to try the pellets from Australia as well, they are brown in color but it seems the size is a bit too small for axies? I'm not sure!

exotic-pets.co.uk sell axolotl pellets mail order. Never tried them myself though

Morrissey

I use the Aqua Master Pellets, I believe they sound like the ones you mentioned. I feed my boyz with a pair of tweezers. I also feed them blood worms & beef twice a week. I am sure if you want to feed them the Aqua Master pellets you won't have a problem finding them on the net. Good luck.

i dont know if you have the possibility to purchase them at your place but pellets for salmon breeding are perfectly suited for axolotls due to their high protein content.

either way i agree with hanniebumblebee, axolotls are perfectly happy with earthworms and other insects (as long as they arent poisonous or have mighty jaws and a hard exoskeleton)

small fish added to the tank (such as cardinals or zebra danios) also work very well as a snack for them :wink:

You can try sinking koi pellets, trout pellets, or salmon pellets. I use and sell Rangen soft moist salmon pellets. They are made for commercial salmon hatcheries. Salmon pellets are made up mostly of fish meal. If you are dead set on salmon pellets I can send you some. The shipping will probably be as much as the pellets and they need to go through customs.
Michael

I also feed them blood worms & beef twice a week.
be careful with the beef though, as long as it is only twice a week and they are used to it it might work out... but normally the digestion of an axolotl is not made for dealing with mammalian flesh. a better choice would be some chicken-hearts and/or liver (if at all) :happy:

be careful with the beef though, as long as it is only twice a week and they are used to it it might work out... but normally the digestion of an axolotl is not made for dealing with mammalian flesh. a better choice would be some chicken-hearts and/or liver (if at all) :happy:

Don't quite understand your thinking there. Beef and chicken are the same when it comes to axolotls. The occasional treat is ok, although heart is better then liver (liver has excessive vitamin A and could cause hypervitaminosis).

heart or liver are not quite the same in structure as flesh itself, so its way easier to digest. that was my thinking.

Easier to digest? That doesn't matter unless the other one is so hard to digest that the axolotl cannot pass it.

well, it was just a suggestion and i guess we are on the same page that feeding either should be an exception. :rolleyes:

i agree with the worms, mine wheren eating so i offered them worms and they love them, i recomend getting a worm farm going :)
how much should 2 fully growns eat??? they also get beef heart if dont eat the worms

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back