Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hey!!

Catherine

Reaction score
Hi my name's Catherine I'm from New Zealand and am passionate about animals and keep many different sorts as pets and hobbies. I have kept aquatic pets like fish, axolotls and turtles for a long time but over the last few months have become very interested in keeping newts and have started building a colony of japanese fire bellies as I can get them, newts are hard to get in NZ and there is not a huge following but I think they're incredible! I want to study herpetology but it must not be a field thats very popular in NZ because I am having difficulty finding information on what and where to study. I am hoping to keep chinese fire bellies sometime soon as well but have to track some down first so if anyone out there knows where to get some... :happy:

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Catherine,

Welcome to the forum!

When you do get your newts, remember, we love photos! :D

Cheers Jacq

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1