Naming opportunity.

IanF

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Ian Faux
I hate having to decide on a name for my animals, I usually end up just calling them what they are (e.g Cat, Rabbit, Axolotl, etc.) but for formal purposes and so I have a simple answer to the question 'What's it called?' I'm going to name my little Tigrinum. And you get to help!
So right now I'm assuming it's male although it's hard to tell at this age. No really defining features, but if you need to know characteristics, he's quite a loner but outgoing and sometimes aggresive when he gets going. There's a horrible picture of him somewhere in the galleries but I doubt you'd get much out of it.
I'm going for a masculine name if it's a boy so none of this 'Cutie pie' nonsense. ;)
Havelock has dibs on naming him if he turns out to be she, so like I said, uni-sexual or male names are good. Be imaginative!
Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Ian

Oh, and if you've got any ideas for the female name, Havelock, feel free to post them aswell.

Re: Naming oppurtunity.

Chester

do you have a picture

could help :p

Yes really. My great grandpa's name was Chester, thank you very much. They called him Chet though.

Yes, and the difference there is that Chet sounds way cooler ;)

Beefsteak.
I have no idea why, that's just what popped into my head.

My old standby: Leon.

LOL @ Beefsteak.

I not big on naming my animals. I once had a giant pleurodeles female affectionately known as "The Mothership" but that's about it.

I like "Bob". It's short and to the point. If you want to Americanize it you could go for "Navajo Bob" :D

Ikki ... short and beautiful. It's a Saint Seiya character. :)

How about "Manamana"? Made famous by Animal from 'The Muppets' - Animal too was a bit of a loner, outgoing and um...quite aggresive. :D

How about "Manamana"? Made famous by Animal from 'The Muppets' - Animal too was a bit of a loner, outgoing and um...quite aggresive. :D

There's a tongue twister! I think I'd prefer something I could say. I could imagine telling people its name... 'Oh cute, what's it called?!' 'Uh it's name's Mamanaaa....uh Manamannnnn.....sorry I don't know, let me write it down.' Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might think about a native american name... If I could find one that is, mabey 'Sitting Ambystoma'....

LOL @ Beefsteak.

I not big on naming my animals. I once had a giant pleurodeles female affectionately known as "The Mothership" but that's about it.

I like "Bob". It's short and to the point. If you want to Americanize it you could go for "Navajo Bob" :D

I too tend to name all animals what they are ("le chat" for our familly cat, etc...). My partner and kid however, feel differently, so they name all our animals, then I give them an alternative according to character (Jack the lazy boderline obses cat is known to me as "Rubbish Badger", our weird rescue dwarf white angora rabbit is named "Neige" but is known as "le freak", etc... newts and salamanders are usually known as "tubbies")

If your sals a bit of a grumpy loaner, why no go to Dexter? That'd fit.

There's a tongue twister!

I think you should name him Huitzilopochtli, after the Mexica god of battle. I mean, you are fluent in Nahuatl, right? :D

I think you should name him Huitzilopochtli, after the Mexica god of battle. I mean, you are fluent in Nahuatl, right? :D
Not quite, but thats really cool! I love names with a meaning.

Going with Nathan's suggestion of native american names, what do you think about Rajiv (meaning 'striped' in Sanskrit) or Ajith (meaning 'he who has not been conquered') ? That's all I can find so I'm open for more suggestions.

Going with Nathan's suggestion of native american names, what do you think about Rajiv (meaning 'striped' in Sanskrit) or Ajith (meaning 'he who has not been conquered') ? That's all I can find so I'm open for more suggestions.

Those are good names but Sanskrit is Indian, as in the subcontinent, not native American.

There's a tongue twister! I think I'd prefer something I could say. I could imagine telling people its name... 'Oh cute, what's it called?!' 'Uh it's name's Mamanaaa....uh Manamannnnn.....sorry I don't know, let me write it down.'

It's easy - you just say Mana Mana and then combine to Manamana.

LOL. How about 'Ayr'? :p

Easy to remember, can be used for girl or boy...sounds nice too.

Excuse me for my ignorance, I completely forgot that they might not be reffering to American Indians!:eek: Thanks for the link Nathan. How about Songan?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back