Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: My fire belly newt wont eat

dario213

Reaction score
my fire belly newt wont eat i got it on monday i fed it black worms but it wont take it :( any body can help?

pepper

Reaction score
Have you tried any other foods?

Chopped earthworms, bloodworms?

What kind of set up do you have him in, does he seem thin or anything like that?

ssbon18

Reaction score
Fire belly newts generally wont eat when you get them for a few days because they are still getting used to their surroundings. I have mine used to eating live bloodworms from a plastic fork I hold in front of them. I have 3 and got all 3 every 6months and they all got used to being fed this way. The last one i got took a longer time to get used to being fed. Now i havent even put the fork with the worms infront of them and they are already lunging to get the worms from the fork. I slowly got them used to it when I had barely got them. I held the fork with the worms wiggling in front of them. If they didnt take it i would just let the worms go in from of them. And walk away. Every time i fed them I would hold the fork with worms in front of them till they got used to eating that way. If another week goes and your newt is still not eating then I would worry. Do you have gravel in the tank you have your newt in ? If so until it starts to eat you might want to have the tank bare bottom so the newt can see the worms. Good Luck on getting your newt to eat.

Neuter

Reaction score
Any updates dario?

Also if anyone has any tips?

I have a chinese fire belly from terrible conditions from a supplier. It is healthy now, finally got it eating, I fed it live blackworms every day. The worms make a huge mess in the tank and I HATE having to deal with live food. I want to switch him to frozen bloodworms, does anyone have any ideas? I have a bare bottom tank and those small brown garden lids that people use, I also have a turkey baster and tweezers. He does not seem interested when I hold them in front of him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!