Slowing Water Flow

b00f

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All..

I have an issue.

In short, the water is causing crazy turbulence within my tank..

It was strong enough to pull a plant out of the substrate (sand)

question is how am i going to slow this down.
i dont want to really have to get a new inktank pump, as its brand new, and fits well.

has anyone come accross this problem

I have an AquaOne 380 ( please see http://www.aquaone.co.uk/documents/AquaStyle126_380_instructions_lowres.pdf )
i was thinking about either

1. putting some slightly dense foam in the filter output, which in my head, would help
2. blocking the filter input to slow the overall rate of flow, (putting extra strain of everything is worrying me though)

has anyone got any ideas???

Thanks in advance

Hey Boof,
I think that's the same tank I use for my guppies (Aqua one AR-380)
If it is, I'm pretty sure it won't be big enough for an adult axolotl - mine is 14 inches long x 9 inches wide and its only 34L.

I've noticed the flow is pretty strong, but the guppies don't seem to care. If you're using the filter that it comes with it's pretty flimsy and spastic, so I'm not sure how you would slow the flow. Mine has a spray bar, but because it's such a small tank the flow is still strong - I had a live plant in there and it got ripped up, I was finding pieces of it everywhere for ages after I took it out. You could try putting some rocks around the intake thing, but it's so breakable I'm not sure it would be safe.
Here's a pic, in case anybody has any suggestions for you

Attachments

• guppy tank.jpg
    guppy tank.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 833
you got a blue one, jeeze its bright blue...

im stumped!

might try the foam idea, and if it dont work well... il sort something out..

i just need ideas, cos im all out

Shh! It was $40 and my guppies love it ;) Plus I don't usually have the light on, so it's not really that blue.

I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, especially considering you've put so much thought into this, spent so much money and are obviously trying to do the right thing. But from what I've read that tank is really not big enough for an adult - it's less than 9 gallons. I know people have kept 1 adult in 10 gallons (with problems) but it's the floor space that matters - Unfortunately, your tank is tall instead of long.

I have a 38x25x46cm tank, and from what i have been told this is a decent size for a pair of axies.

Unfortunately, it's not even that big. Pull out the measuring tape and check for yourself - it's about 36x24x41cm, and adult axolotls can grow to around 20-30cm (up to 35cm), meaning he'll fill up the whole tank just sitting in it if he gets big. You could probably keep a baby in it for a while until it grows a bit bigger, but you'd have to be prepared to upgrade. Like I said in your other thread, I cycled it with 3 guppies in it - I changed 20% of the water every day, sometimes more and sometimes less than 24 hours apart, and I still couldn't keep the nitrite under 4 for most of the time even after I'd changed the water. I ended up having to take them out because it was too upsetting watching them - I think it would be really hard keeping the water quality under control, even with it cycled. Another thing to keep in mind - you'll notice I'm not using a heater for my guppies. The temp is so hot in that tank, I haven't had to yet :(

Did the pet shop you bought it from tell you it would be big enough? Considering it's too small, you're going to have a hell of a time controlling the water quality and I don't think you'll be able to fix the water flow, I wouldn't touch the filter - take it back and ask for your money back. Maybe print out the housing info page if they don't believe you, it's their fault for giving you the wrong information. You could try making it work, but if at all possible to get your money back I would.

It's my night off, I'm bored and my boyfriend has decided to fall asleep. So here is a pic of a big (30cm) axolotl in my guppy tank (if the guppies were actually in there and not on holiday for snail eradication, picture him with a guppy in his mouth) :D They're probably not that giant, but the length is accurate. Good luck if you decide to keep it, but I think it will be hard :( Could you fit a 2ft tank on your nice stand, or even a smaller one (45cm long)?

Attachments

• photos 336.jpg
    photos 336.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 264
  • photos 337.jpg
    photos 337.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 230
well i think i could, but il probably wait til i need to get a bigger tank,

i rearranged alot of things last night, and have found some room in there

I also slowed down the waterflow...

Had some rubber sheet with tiny holes in it, which i put a small bit in the end of filter, which has slowed things down close to a trickle, and its actually working well, surprise suprise...
less washing machine like now :D

ammonia is under control, and the nirtite is becoming more and more apparent every day,
(tested twice)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back