Question: First newt/Salamander?

Jesthing

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Jessica
I'm sorry if this question was asked before but I wasn't sure what to search for to find this.. New to this forum :[.

I am looking to get a terrestrial newt or salamander that would be happy in a 10~ gallon tank. I've had reptiles before but no amphibians. I know general information about them as I am a biology student and vertebrate zoology class is what sparked my interest in them! I just need advice on which specific types of salamanders or newts would be comfortable in that size habitat.

Thank you!

The easiest to keep in my opinion is an Axolotl, which would require 10 gallons each. There are dozens of others you could keep... a Tiger Salamander, Fire Bellies, etc. I'm naming all the easier to keep ones. If your looking for a group, mabey some Plethodontidae or Salamandridae. You'd need to check out the requirments for any one your considering though. If it's your first amphibian though I'd recommend simple, easy to care for, and doscile. It's really a case of looking through the gallery, choosing a species you like and checking out what it needs and if it's relatively easy to keep and you could meet it's requirments. Have fun. ;)

Ian

Just found myself a 20 gallon tank! Should I get two of whichever species I pick? I've seen a lot of people have more than one but I don't know much about their social behavior.

It depends on what you're going for. You could keep 2 axolotls in a 20 gallon tank. You could keep 2 tigers in a 20 gallon. You could keep a whole herd of Chinese Firebelly newts. Most caudates aren't 'social' in a sense that they need company, but most aren't aggressive either. You can keep a group of them together. Depending on the species, this can lead to breeding.

Personally, I much prefer 20 gallon tanks over 10 gals. They're much more versatile, make it easier to handle water quality, and are much easier to provide an appropriate habitat (hiding places, haul outs if necessary, etc.).

Hi.

I live up in the Pac NW. In Portland OR to be exact. I came across 5 Rough Skinned Newts about a year ago in need of rescue. I took 'em! I didn't really know much about them at the time, but aside from an injuries/ilnesses and one passing within about a week of arrival (malnutrition?) I have had great success. I think they're pretty easy to care for, cute, and fun!

I'm not sure if they're found as far north as Canada, nor what coast you are towards East or West, but you may consider a few of these guys.

Great personalities, good temprament (over zealous with the fingers at feeding time but doesn't hurt) and have been a simple joy to have!

Good luck on your decision!

~Rachel

I agree. Taricha are very personable, and you could easily keep 3-4 in a tank that size. However, keep in mind that they're EXTREMELY toxic, and if a pet or a child (or drunk friend) were to eat one, they would most likely die.

Jes said she was looking for a terrestrial newt or sal. Are there any local species that you might have access to? One of the smaller Ambystomas or a couple of redbacks would work. How many you could keep together would depend on the size and behavior of the species. Be sure the tank has a very secure lid.

Well the reason I said terrestrial was mostly because I've never delt with water cycling and I would be scared to not do it properly and kill my pets :[. With a tank this size though I have been looking at the partial aquatic setups which have glass divisions inside. I figure as long as I follow directions carefully it should be ok.

I also have a cat so I'm aware the lid would have to be extremely secure to keep them in and keep her out :|. I looked at the excape prevention section earlier to get ideas.

Either way I am going to go through the local petstores tomorrow to see what they have there.. As far as local salamanders go I know there are Ambystomatidae and Plethodontidae in the wild. I live on the east coast.. about 30 minutes away from Maine.

Just make sure to take the pet stores advice with a pinch of salt. Fully aquatic set-ups are easier once you get the hang of it, but if you you're adement about a terrestrial or semi aquatic you might have to look abit further when it comes to trying to get one.

20 gallons could house 2 blue spotted salamanders

or 1 fire salamander

or 1 tiger salamander

there my suggestions.

20 gallons could house a lot more than 2 blue spots. I kept 2 in a 5 gallon tank. And I currently house 2 tigers in a 20. And I used to house 3 fires in a 20 gal. 20 gal is my tank of choice. Just my opinion.

Like Ian said, aquatic tanks aren't that hard once you get the hang of it.

So if I do endup getting an aquatic species should I do the cycling procedure before getting my pet? I've read about some people doing it and some people not..

I got a second hand tank and it had been left out in a garage and it was pretty dirty. I just used really hot water and scrubbing to clean the insides after reading the catastrophe stories about the bleach though.. Not sure if that was sufficient?

So if I do endup getting an aquatic species should I do the cycling procedure before getting my pet? I've read about some people doing it and some people not.

I think this is mainly a personal preference, well at least for me it is. If you do decide to cycle with inhabitants I would strongly recommend you be very stringent in monitoring your water parameters and keeping up with water changes. I also feed as little as possible during this time as well to cut down on waste.

Now for my 2 cents worth on your future inhabitants. You really can't go wrong with any of the Ambystoma species, although my opinion is a little biased being that they are my favorites.;)

Later,
Justin

Ok well I called all the petshops in town and they all only have Oriental Fire-Bellied newts. I have looked them up more so and I think they are adorable <3.

I am going to buy supplies tonight to prepare my semi aquatic habitat and start cycling the tank a while before putting the newts in I think. At least a few days. Either way once I have set everything up I will post pictures on here so you can call me out if I missed anything before I get my newts :].

Thank you for all your suggestions!

Sorry for missing the terrestrial part. Moot point now that you decided to go semi-aquatic. I thought I'd show you a picture of my set up, to help you get situated. I have evrything put together so it is easily disassembled, and easy to put back. I hope the picture helps.

I did not cycle before hand, but I didn't really knwo about it then, and I did fine. Follow the excellent advice of the members on this site, and you'll have no problems. = )

Good Luck!

~Rachel

Attachments

• IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 243
Sorry for missing the terrestrial part. Moot point now that you decided to go semi-aquatic. I thought I'd show you a picture of my set up, to help you get situated. I have evrything put together so it is easily disassembled, and easy to put back. I hope the picture helps.

I did not cycle before hand, but I didn't really knwo about it then, and I did fine. Follow the excellent advice of the members on this site, and you'll have no problems. = )

Good Luck!

~Rachel

I really like your setup! I am very fond of the bamboo idea :]. I might actually steal it! I wanted to edit my original post with an update but I guess you can't after a certain amount of time. Oh well.

I've read that you need to run the filter in the tank water for at least 24 hours before putting the newts in though? Everywhere has slightly different steps to follow.. I mean I would love to take my newts home tonight if I could do it without harming them.

Ok well I called all the petshops in town and they all only have Oriental Fire-Bellied newts. I have looked them up more so and I think they are adorable <3.

I am going to buy supplies tonight to prepare my semi aquatic habitat and start cycling the tank a while before putting the newts in I think. At least a few days. Either way once I have set everything up I will post pictures on here so you can call me out if I missed anything before I get my newts :].

If you are looking into C.orientalis, I suggest you consider buying them as captive bred. They may be a little bit more expensive, but it is worth it- they will be tame, healthy, and well cared for. I know there are several people on this site who offer CB Cynops.

Many times pet stores sell newts that have been imported from overseas and that haven't been fed in weeks. Often times they develop problems and die shortly after being purchased. If you do buy from a pet shop look to buy one that appears plump, active, and with no obvious signs of illness.

Good Luck!:D

I looked at that section of the forum but the Canadian sellers are pretty rare and really far from where I am.. :/. I am not buying tonight though I will just go check it out and buy supplies.

Well I just came back from the petstore, bought some little decorations and hiding things for the newt. I am cycling the tank and I have treated the water for chlorine. Got both nitrite and ammonia test packs.. Now I just need to buy some supplies for a little land area. I think I will get the newt next week.

I examined the newts at the store and there were 2 that were almost double the size of the other ones and super active. The other ones were all skinny and not really moving at all. I think one of them was dead.. :[. Felt bad leaving them there </3.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back