I have a few questions.

ghostface

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a golden albino axolotl salamander and I was wondering...

How long do they live?
Will the two sets of three branches on their heads get bigger and change color as they grow older?
How much do they grow in a month? a year?

My axolotl is about 3 or 4 inches long.

15-20 years is not unheard of. That's a good lifespan.

The gills, or 'branches', can change. They may get bigger or smaller, and can change colors as the axolotl develops its adult coloration. They will get brighter when the axolotls are active, feeding, or stressed (more blood flow, more demand for oxygen). They get pale when they're resting.

With proper nutrition, they'll reach full size (which can be between 6 and 12 inches or more) within a couple of months. They usually reach full size within 10 months or so.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back