Feeding Changes

newtons13

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, I now have a bunch of wax worms left over from trying to help my sick guy. Good news, the others LOVE them, gobble them down in seconds. I usually feed them frozen bloodwoorms, which they seem to enjoy as well, but think I would like to give them a variety of foods live and frozen, probably alternate feedings.

My questions are:
1) How many waxworms should I give them in one feeding? I offered them 3 or 4 each, and I think they ate 2 each. One guy seemed to be burping/hiccoughing afterward. I wonder if I over fed him? I don't want him to vomit.

2) How often should I feed them these?

3) It has started raining a lot (again) and the huge worms are coming up from the ground by my work (I can't think of what they're called right now, just regular dirt worms) is it okay to collect a few of these, chop 'em up and give them to my newts? I work at a large machine mannufacturer, and there is a considerable ammount of metal dust, maybe I shouldn't use worms from there? But get some from by my house. Is that okay?

Thanks as allways.

~Rachel

I've given half a dozen waxworms or more to my tigers in one sitting. But they are fatty, so should be fed only as part of a balanced diet.

As far as the worms, I wouldn't use the ones from work. The risk of contamination is pretty high. The ones by your house, as long as you don't use pesticides or fertilizers, and you can be reasonably sure there's no contamination from the neighbors, that would be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back