Illness/Sickness: bad leg

las

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
La's
my new axie O'Mally is giving me alot of troubble the poor guy, firstly he wasnt eating, got him eating;),

Then he got a fugus on his feet :( put him in sperate container with some multicure and followed instructions practial water changes for a week, fungas was gone but his skin was white and th tips of some of his toes were missing, Skin around his toes is still a pale grey colour (he is Black)

I recently moved him and Axel into a big tank, he has gone off food which is normal Axel is still a pig,

The problem now is i noticed a big dent in his leg, he doesnt seam to be using it only sometimes, the problem gets worse now Axel is not using that leg either his looks ok i was wondering if he may be copying poor O'Mally, :confused:

Could the dent be in his leg from Axel biting him or from the fungal infection. he is also continusly swimming to the top of the water and into the current of the filter, (current is very low even the plants dont have any movement.

Could he be freakin it coz the oxygen levels in the water have reduced, the old filter used to create bubbles in the water this one does not, Michael wants to put an airater into the tank???
Axel seams fine with the reduced amount of oxygen just got fuller gills,

the water levels are fine
Ph: 7.4
Amonia: 0
Nitrite:0

we added a cycling treatment into the water to help it along, the first day in the tank we did a hlf water change due to the sand being very cloudy, there is light for the tank but we dont turn them on it stresses them way to much, there is plently of hides and lots of real plants.

i dont know what to do i have never had this much troubble with Axel :confused::confused::confused:

Check everything in you tank to make sure they are not catching themselves on something. If you cant see anything obvious test edges with your fingers.
Monitor them closely to ensure they are not snapping at each other, adding extra hidey holes or plants will cut back the chances of this.
Lastly, please do not use chemicals in their tank, these are normally harmful and can cause you more problems. Follow the normal procedure for water changes 10-20% daily when the ammonia and/or nitrate shows, until the levels are safe again.
I would do approximately 50% water change to dilute any chemicals you have added.

The dent/wound on the leg may well be from the other axolotl. You may not actually see the other axolotl snap at o'mally as they are pretty fast and also more active at night when this may be happening. I found that with the 2 I had. I would come down in the morning to find one axolotl had been bitten.

I'll second Frances on the chemical bit as their skin is very sensitive. I don't add anything to my tank water except time.

Could he be freakin it coz the oxygen levels in the water have reduced, the old filter used to create bubbles in the water this one does not, Michael wants to put an airater into the tank???

I believe that Michael is right! Your filter should be producing some small bubbles as this adds oxygen to your water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back