floating and redness

appelmoes

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
sick axolotl : floating and redness

Hey everybody,

my albino axolotl ( called the titanic ) looked really sick this morning,
i was on a holiday and i came back after two weeks, and apparently the power has been cut off so my filter apparatus was not working.
There was a white film on top of my whole axolotls and they where just floating on top of the tank, one actually swimming on his back. Out of necessity i refreshed all of the water, and the PH is now 8,5. I could not check for other values, and the pet shop is closed for the weekend.
The vet i called, but our vets ( dutch ) are not schooled that much in axolotls and they did not know what to do. There was a large patch of tubifex crawling in the bottom.
I was appaled to notice that they must have been (almost) toxicated by the water-levels.

When i saw the white film on my axolotls i bathed them in a salt water solution, but my white axolotl did not like it at all, the other one did not mind.
I put them back in clean water real fast, because i was scared i might hurt them.
When they where in the clean water they looked a little better.
I put them in the kitchen, where there's less disturbance and it's quite colder than in the living room.

This afternoon i came back from work and the first thing i did was to check up on them to refresh 20% of their water because the filter broke.
My white axolotl shows red veins on his back and somehow his dorsal fin looks real small in comparison with before.

Both my white and natural coloured ( called the Kursk ) axolotl have curled tails and just float around.

I'm sorry if my story is a bit weird, but i'm not that good in English so if you find weird sentences, i'm sorry! But' i'm really worried about my axolotls.

Re: sick axolotl : floating and redness

The best thing you can do for them right now is to keep them cool and calm. Put them in a cool, dark place and let them rest. You are doing well with the water changes. Keep them in fresh water. You may need to do 50% water changes a day, depending on how big your tank is. Keep offering them food. They may or may not take it.

could you possibly take pictures of your axolotls?

id put all of them in a separate box with clear water and those boxes into the refrigerator at approx. 6°C immediately (change the water every day). then you should try finding a vet that is familiar with axolotls, or other newts at least.

good luck, i hope you'll get them through. :(

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back