Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Duct tape

Neke

Reaction score
Hey, I got a new powerhead with a filter attached free with my new chiller. Unfortunately, the plastic bit at the back with suction caps has snapped off. It still seems to be working fine, so I'm reluctant to get another. Is it safe to stick it back on with duct tape? Are there chemicals in it that will mess with the water quality? I've got silicone but I don't want to wait ages before it's safe to put it back in again. Any ideas?

Thanks guys :happy:

kira

Reaction score
Hey Neke! That's great you got a chiller!! You need it, eh!

Anyway, I probably wouldn't put duct tape in the tank because the chemicals that make it sticky might not be good for your axies.

If you go to Bunning, they will have more suction caps or something else that can help.

Neke

Reaction score
Surely you can buy new suction caps?

The little plastic bits that were holding the back plate on have snapped off with the weight from the hose. If I got new suction caps I would still have to attach them somehow, which I'm guessing would involve either something sticky that they come with or glue. If they suctioned on both sides I don't think it would be strong enough to hold it. I've attached pics.

I could just silicone it back on, but it would be quite a while before it was cured and the smell went away (It took a few weeks when I glued the rocks onto my pvc piping). My wild type is P***ED and I'm thinking he's just more sensitive than my other one and am hoping the chiller will fix it. I only reintroduced him to the tank today, but he wasn't stressed earlier when it was cooler. (In case you're wondering, the white mark on his nose is just sand)

So I want to hook it up fast :( Are there any other glues that don't need much time before they're safe to put in?

Attachments

• photos 132.jpg
    photos 132.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 174
  • photos 135.jpg
    photos 135.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 164
  • photos 126.jpg
    photos 126.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 169

kira

Reaction score
Sorry Neke, I read your post when I was really tired! Obiviously, I don't read it properly.

I will have a look and see what I can find for you. :eek:

Hmmm... your wildtype doesn't look happy, poor little bugger! By the way, how's he's tail (is he named yet??):D

kira

Reaction score
I searched google and found that you could possibly use epoxy aquarium glue, someone else used a hot glue gun with non toxic glue sticks (this guy had it back in the tank again after 30mins with apparently no ill effects!), and gorilla glue.

Don't know if any of these will help.:eek:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've used rubber bands to hold filter parts together. Would that work?

Neke

Reaction score
Rubber bands! Jennewt, Genius! I'll give it a go, hopefully it will hold :D So simple, but I never would have thought of it.

Thanks to you too Kira, I'll have a look for those glues for a more permanent solution :happy: I tend to break things often, so I'm sure they will come in handy again.

And yes, they are still unnamed. I didn't want to name the wildtype until he recovered in case he didn't make it. But he's looking fatter and healthier (although very cranky) and my last exam was today so my mind is free to ponder.

Wildtype is sulky and slow moving and has the mental wonky tail. He's looking a bit like Peter's dwarf axies (same batch) - the body kind of stops suddenly and the tail is thin the whole way
My leucistic is a massive guts and never sits still - she frolics all over the tank, plonks on something, thinks about it for a while and then swims over to something else and plonks on that. Whenever I go past the tank she follows me and when i peer into the water she looks at me and then swims up. She's a cutie with a pretty smile and reminds of a ditsy blonde :D I'm open to suggestions if anybody has any ideas!

And to venture even further off topic...
By the way, how's he's tail
More pics (feel free to confiscate my camera soon...) :eek:

Attachments

• photos 019.jpg
    photos 019.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 179
  • photos 023.jpg
    photos 023.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 157

kira

Reaction score
Confiscate your camera? No way... I love pics!!:D

He does look a bit like that dwarf axie, doesn't he? What about Ziggy (as in zigzag) LOL

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only problem with rubber bands is that they deteriorate. They have to be replaced a couple of times per year.

Neke

Reaction score
What about Ziggy
I love it! He loves it! (though to be fair I had worms in my hand when I asked him)

Thanks Kira :D Now I just need a name for the other one, who I've been calling doofus. (She's a dork, and possibly insane)

I'm about to see if the chiller will work again - Last time I tried this there was a power surge (too many watts on one powerpoint?) and I lost half the tank water on the floor. Everything with these guys is drama, drama, drama. I suspect they're doing it on purpose... their grins are so cheeky.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1