Question: New Owner- questions

mtenney1

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
I just bought two little fire belly newts about a day and a half or so ago. Some sites say to feed them daily and some say every couple of days- which is it? Mine haven't eaten. One swims a bit and explores while the other hasn't left the rock since he climbed up at first. Could they still just be acclaimating to their new environment or should I be worried?
I've only tried bloodworms but not live ones. I don't want to give them live food and make a mess of the tank if they aren't going to eat. Of course I will do what is best for them but I don't really have time during the day to monitor their eating habits while I am at work. I'll be able to during the weekend so in the meantime will they be alright? Can anyone advise?
Thanks,
Maria

first of all, you should read this article to find out what species of FBN you have. The go to the species page to check that your set up and care are OK.

More specifically regarding your problem, newts stressed by a change of environment can go for days, even a week or two without eating. Usually live bloodworms/blackworms are a sure way to get them started. Do not worry about feeding them in the day, most newt are more active at night. At the moment, what they need more than anything is calm. Make sure they are in a cool quiet room, and try to feed them small quantities of live bloodworms/blackworms, frozen should be OK too, but if your newts are not eating well, the movement of live prey could get them going...

Also, if you got your guys from a aquarium/pet shop, be aware that they are more than likely wild caught, and will have suffered a lot of stress during transit. Be on the look out for wounds/fungus and other damage...

Good luck!

I really appreciate the help. I have Chinese Fire Belly Newts. I think they are pretty healthy. I moved the more lazy one around a bit and didn't see any visible infections or wounds. Then he got scared and darted behind the plant to hide. From his reaction and speed I don't think there is anything wrong with his limbs!

They look a little more comfortable today. So I will probably just wait it out.

The water is clear and the tank is odorless so I think their environment is pretty good.

Are live bloodworms pretty easy to come by? I will get those and try again tomorrow.

Thank you!

In the US, live bloodworms are practically impossible to find. But blackworms are usually available from larger, good pet stores (my local aquarium shop usually carries them). Or you can use small pieces of chopped earthworm.

I went back to the pet store and they actually have live bloodworms and my newts LOVE them. It got the lazier one up and moving in no time.

They have been fine for awhile now...except today:

They mainly spend their time in the water which as I have read is normal but today they have both been on the rock above the water all day. The originally lazier one, all day today he had his back half of his body on the rock and then the other half under the water...is that bad? I got really scared and thought he was dead so I poked him and he scurried under the water behind the rock. I have this little pile arrangement of rocks under the water and he has his head buried in the rocks?!!! Should I be worried? I have never seen him do this... The other one is finally off of the rock and moving around a bit.

Update to my last:

I pulled up a chair and just watched them for a bit. The one who kept buring his head in the rocks was actually moving in and out through the gaps in the rocks. Turned out he was shedding. Now he is back up and around. Previously after the other got off of the rock he was hiding then he started moving around again.

They seem to be more active when I am around. Like when I am looking at them...I'll either sit or crouch at the tank so I'm looking at them at their level and they move around more and come up to the glass where I am. I don't know how interactive they are but that's what I have noticed.

Should I still be concerned with their behavior earlier?

When they are stressed out they may try to go onto land. Even when you feed them you disturb the tank a bit, which may bother them. I would not worry about it, they will become comftorable in time.

Glad to hear that they are eating. Their behavior sounds normal. Regarding the live "bloodworms", a lot of shops call them that, but they are actually blackworms. To see photos of the two, see:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml
You can also try frozen bloodworms (which actually ARE bloodworms;))

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back