Pseudotriton ruber (Red Salamander) - Can They Be Pets?

TLaw

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm looking at getting my first salamander or newt shortly, and I've always thought that the red salamander were among the most attractive.

Is it possible to acquire these guys as pets at all?

If not, what would people recommend as a good type of salamander to get for a beginner?

They're not very commonly kept. I can't say the specifics about their care though. The downside is that because this species is not commonly kept, it is not available as a captive bred species. You would be purchasing wild-caught salamanders. Additionally, if you're located in Canada, they would have to be imported, which could be a huge legal hassle.

There are many threads on good 'starter' animals. Have a browse or a search through the forum and you'll find them. The biggest thing to keep in mind is if you want an animal that is aquatic or terrestrial (or semi-aquatic). And when at all possible, you should purchase captive bred specimens.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back