Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How soon can a female lay eggs?

Kerry1968

Reaction score
I have two one year old leucistic axolotls who recently produced a batch of eggs. Since she laid the eggs I have kept them in the same four foot tank with a divider in the middle. I had a shock today when I looked in her side of the tank and couldn't find her! It turns out she managed to squeeze through a hole in the divider that I had made for the spray bar to go through! I was amazed! She was obviously very determined to get to him! The problem is, when I looked in his side there were spermatophores everywhere and I'm concerned she may have picked one up and be about to lay eggs again. Will this be a problem, it's been only about 4 weeks since she last laid.
I wonder if the laying of the spermatophores enticed her through, or her getting into his side made him lay them? Anybody know? I find it very intriguing.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They can lay eggs almost continuously. This isn't very healthy, as it takes a lot of energy and resources to produce eggs.

It's hard to tell who was the initiator here. Best get a better divider!

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Update

The next day I had a tank full of eggs! I have now separated Lottie (the female) into a different tank so we don't have a repeat of this in a couple of weeks! I have left the eggs in the tank where she originally laid them, a lot of them don't look like viable eggs, which isn't a problem as I'm already raising 3 week old larvae from her previous batch!
I will pick out 20 or so larvae that hatch to bring on. I started with around 30 with the last lot and am down to 9, so on that percentage it shouldn't be too much trouble to rear another small batch!

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Re: Update

I started with around 30 with the last lot and am down to 9, so on that percentage it shouldn't be too much trouble to rear another small batch!

That's a rather bad percentage, how are you raising them? Was this the first time the female laid eggs?
With the batches of Axolotls I raised, I had a survival rate bof 90% plus but I read several times that the first batch can be difficult.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Re: Update

Hello Daniel,
Yes, it was the first time she'd laid eggs.
The way I raised them was......
I kept them in a separate tank with a couple of inches of water once they'd hatched (no filtration). When I started losing larvae I changed to a smaller container with a higher concentration of daphnia. This seemed to work better and now I have moved them to two larvae per container, as there are size differences (only 8 left). I have been cleaning out any muck from the bottom of the containers every day and changing 100% of the water every other day as they're only small containers with only a couple of inches of water in each.
I have just checked the babies this morning and some of them look very poorly, hardly any movement and floating. The two biggest look fine though.
If I'm doing something wrong please let me know, I have another batch of babies about to hatch and I would hate to think I'm causing them suffering. Thank you for your response, Kerry.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1