Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tips for going on vacation?

time2botanize

Reaction score
Anyone have any tips for feeding etc. for a few young axolotl larvae while I'm gone for a week? I have someone who can come in and check on them and hopefully feed them properly, but I'd rather set something up myself.

inkozana

Reaction score
Axolotls can go for a week without eating, but if you want some food for them in there, I recommend getting some live blackworms and just chucking them in there.

Kal El

Reaction score
inkozana said:
Axolotls can go for a week without eating

I have to disagree with this to some extent because as these are growing larvae, they will require constant nutrition. This is especially true if the larvae have developed their front legs, at which point they become cannibalistic, and will snap at anything that moves. Therefore, if your axolotl larvae have developed their front legs, it would be a good idea to separate them.

The type of food depends on what stage of development your axolotl larvae have reached. If they are newly hatched, they possess some yolk to sustain their dietry requirement, but more often than not, they will require live food approximately 24-72 hours after hatching. Daphina is the most commonly used live food for rearing axolotl larvae, because these can live in the tank until they are eaten. However, you will need somebody to perform partial water changes to rid of the uneaten daphina.

Having said that, there's really no way around leaving the axolotl larvae unattended. I suggest you look at this page: http://www.axolotl.org/rearing.htm

Jay.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!