Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

drought by broken aquarium

Bass

Reaction score
For starters; this is a great forum witch has given me lots of information. I've been planning to join for a while now, unfortunately circumstances have forced me to take the step right now.

Yesterday I got a call, the living room was wet and my aquarium was empty. Luckely my folks put my pet in a tank as soon as they saw, but it may have been out of the water for up to 10hours.
I already have a new tank, wish I filled with the substrate from the old one, and I also use the same filter so I hope the biobalance will restore soon.
Needless to say my axie is not as happy as it used to be. It lays quite still, only some occasional gill-movement. the water is about 17°C and the tank isn't lit so he can destress. Is there anything I can do to make him recover asap from the experience he/she had to go through? Also tips on how to as quickly as possible get the new tank balanced are welcome.
On a positive note, I upgraded from a 50*30*30 to a 100*40*50 tank.

Bass

PS: Excuse any lingual mistakes, I'm dutch-speaking.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since your new tank is quite large, you should have less trouble with the cycling period than usual. During the first month, test for ammonia and be careful about picking up leftover food, and you will probably have no problem.

I don't think there is much you can do to help the animal recover. Try to keep the temperature even a little lower if you can. Is it in a small temporary tank, or already in the large tank? If it's in a small tank, take care about ammonia.

Can you tell us why the tank broke? It may be helpful as a warning to others. Tanks do not normally break unless the silicone is very old, or they are sitting on an uneven surface, or something like that.

Bass

Reaction score
I filled the big tank yesterday and put the animal in there a few hours ago (after the substrate had setteled). He still doesn't seem to happy but has been moving around so I guess he'll be allright.
There might be several reasons the old tank broke. it was old, but still in good shape. Jewel is (to my knowledge known as a 'good' brand of aquaria.. Last week ma father had put a heavy pot on the lid, this might have been just a bit too much stress for the structure. also, the table on wich it stood was 10cm less wide as the tank. Like I said, several possible explanation.
fyi: it was the bottom glass plate that had broken in two.
Taking the temp down a bit more should be do-able, I'll just open up a window :rolleyes:

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect that the table being less-wide than the tank may have caused the glass to break. Full aquariums weigh a lot! It is important to have the ends of the tank, in particular, well supported.

Watch the axolotl for any signs of injury or infection. It sounds like he'll be OK.

Bass

Reaction score
Shame on me for not having givven an update fot so long.
My axie is doinf fine! After having put him in his new habitat I noticed his tummy was all damaged, probably from having layen on the gravel while the water was gone? So I put him in a smaller plasticcontainer inside the large new tank, and kept my curtains closed (thus keeping the sun out and lowereing the temp by another 2-3 °C)
He's fully recovered by now, reacting immideately when I put in food, 'hiding' most of the time, smimming around sometimes, in short, the best I could've hoped for.
In a week or two my new axies will have arrived at the shop and after their quarantein they can go in too (100*40*50cm is a lot for 1 axie)

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1