Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

help with paddle tail

escapednewt

Reaction score
hi,

i have recently bought apaddle tailed newt. He is currently kept in a tank wth tropical fish, he seems to be doing very well. however i went back to the shop in which i bought him today and they said i was very lucky that he had not eaten the fish? is this going to be a problem?? he currently has no obviouse problem with the fish and visa versa. The man also told me that he is poisonous, is this true? he always trys to get on my hand in when i feed the fish and so i 'hold' him. obiously if he is poisonous i will stop doing this. i just want to know if i should be worried about my fish, the newt is about 6 inches at the min so he wont get much bigger so i would have thought that if there was going to be a problem it would have occured already.

please get back to me and help! thanks!

Jake

Reaction score
First I must say that I'm glad there is a pet store that will tell you some truth. It is really not a good idea to house the newt with tropical fish. The fish need warm temps and the newt will need it rather cool (63-68 sounds good). That newt will eventually eat some of your fish. All newts are poisonous to an extent. Handling it is not so much a problem for you as it is the newt. They're 'eyes only pets', handling them more than absolutely necessary will cause stress.

You'd be best to give the fish and the newt separate tanks.

keechoo

Reaction score
Here is a good reason not to keep a paddletail with tropical fish. It's found in this forum and called: Beware the Catfish! by mweaver_87. It has the yellow triangle with the exclamation point next to it. I would post a direct link to it but I don't know how. Just call me "Miss Computer Illiterate". The post is on the second page as of this posting.

Abrahm

Reaction score
This is the disaster story Nicole was talking about.

If your fish are small enough you will probably lose one eventually to your newt. You will also end up losing your newt if you don't find a way to keep him cool. Paddle tail newts, like most newts, do best under 70F which is not a good temperature for your fish.

spoons

Reaction score
dont keep paddletails with anything ! they are very aggressive feeders ! and yes cold water only , mine seem happiest in uk winter in a rather cold room ! even the mild summers here get too warm for them

Zcasc

Reaction score
I would have to concur...

My Paddletail has done fine on its own for over 5 years, now. Shortly after I had first purchased him, I thought that I could defy the rules and toss in a school of zebra danios with him.

Sure enough, I woke up (no joke) to a tank devoid of any life, except algae and Senor Paddletail.

That's what happens when you break the rules. Luckily they are cheap fish...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1