new axolotl lover

jenlefevre

Reaction score
Country
United States
I saw my first axie in a pet store about 2 months ago, and knew I had to get one. I have two fish tanks, but have never had an amphibian or reptile. I've been doing tons of research, and have a tank in the cycling process now, because I will be getting an axolotl for Christmas! I am so excited. I am hoping to get a pink leucistic one. Or even an albino. I just love the red frills! If anyone have any babies that need a good home, I live in Boise, ID. I am willing to pay whatever, including shipping. If not, any good advice for a new axolotl owner would be appreciated too.
Thanks.
jen

Hi Jen,

I think it's great that you read up on axies before getting one. If you have a little patience a few members may have some for sale in the near future, keep an eye out in the "for sale" section for them.
Good luck and welcome,
Eve

What pet store did you see them at?:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: My science class wants to adopt one, and I'm in charge of finding out where to buy them! Please send my a pm or something and tell me the name of the store!

Maybe it's just Florida, but I was told that they could only educators could purchase them? The pet store by me wasn't able to order any, and thats why they said.....

Anyone can have an axolotl. Dozens of people here breed them every year. It's true that only an educational institution can purchase axolotls from AGSC, but anyone can get an axolotl from a breeder.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back