Question: Have been given an axolotle

Newfie

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
He/she has been living in a tank with a gold fish, so no longer has any gills/frills. Since I have had it, its in a tank on its own, and doing really well. My questions is, How long do they live for? I was told this one is round 8 years old.
thanks for y our replys.

15-20 years is not unheard of. I'm surprised that one made it 8 years with goldfish. Welcome to the forum :)

Hi Newfie,

If kept in good conditions an axolotl can live to about 15 years of age, give or take a few years.

It's great that you have the axolotl on its own now - this will certainly add to his or her chances of living to a ripe old age.

If you could post a photo of the axolotl's cloaca which is the area behind his back legs at the base of the tail, we can assist in sexing the axolotl for you if you like. :happy:

Hi and thanks for your reply. I'm surprised he/she is alive at all, you should have seen the old tank he/she and 1 huge gold fish were living in. I have had it for a year now so its 9years old.

Does it truly have NO gills at all? Is it possible that it has metamorphosed?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back