Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Leaving Axolotls Home Alone

brella

Reaction score
Hi,
I will be leaving the state for a week (for Thanksgiving) and I was wondering if my axolotls will be okay without eating and being alone? I will feed them right before I leave but I don't really have anyone to watch them. Anyone have info?

Thanks

Kal El

Reaction score
Hi Brella,

Axolotls can go without food for at least a week (some times more). Also, you might want to do a partial water change before you leave. I'm not so sure about feeding them before you leave because they might poop while you're away and you won't be there to clean it up, which will only lead to a build up of ammonia.

Jay.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
That depends on what size they are. If they are small juveniles they will rip each other up in a week without feeding. If they are adults they should be fine with a heavy feed before you leave.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are concerned the axolotl's may attack one another if they get hungry while you are away, you can put in a tank divider to keep them seperate for further piece of mind.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are concerned the axolotl's may attack one another if they get hungry while you are away, you can put in a tank divider to keep them seperate for further piece of mind.

Oops! I meant 'peace' of mind not 'piece' - sorry about that!...:eek:

broadbent30

Reaction score
i just got back from a 5 day break and my axolotls all seam fine, i fed them before, i left did a big clean then made my room dark.

once i got home i gave them a small feed, small clean then did the rest the following night so they had some time to eat a little rest then eat some more :D

brella

Reaction score
They seemed fine when I left them for 4 days. However, we are leaving for 10 days. Will they be okay without food?

lisalee2

Reaction score
I am not being funny or any thing but why have you got animals if you are going to keep going away, wouldnt leave them for 1 nite not alone 10 days i have 7 axolotls and a bearded dragon and just because axolotls can survive with out food for so many days dosnt meen you can go away for that long with out some one being with them.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not being funny or any thing but why have you got animals if you are going to keep going away, wouldnt leave them for 1 nite not alone 10 days i have 7 axolotls and a bearded dragon and just because axolotls can survive with out food for so many days dosnt meen you can go away for that long with out some one being with them.
Lisalee: your answer lacks grammar/punctuation, which are required by the terms of service of this site. I also think you are being a bit harsh. Leaving axolotls for 10 days without care does not seem too bad to me. In most cases, leaving them without care is better than asking someone to feed them, as petsitters nearly always over-feed and under-clean (which is a lot more dangerous than no care at all).

Brella - what is the tank temperature? If you can keep them cold (turn down the thermostat?), they won't need as much food. They'll probably be fine, but it wouldn't hurt to have someone check on them, if possible. Heed my warnings against asking anyone to feed them.

brella

Reaction score
My tank temperature is between 50-60 degrees F. I am going to try and have my friend check on them and maybe drop a small piece of food in the tank after a few days. But then the catch 22 is that feces will be in the tank and I won't be able to remove it. The problem with having someone "watch them" is that everyone I know are unfamiliar with these type of animals and the care of them.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My tank temperature is between 50-60 degrees F. I am going to try and have my friend check on them and maybe drop a small piece of food in the tank after a few days. But then the catch 22 is that feces will be in the tank and I won't be able to remove it. The problem with having someone "watch them" is that everyone I know are unfamiliar with these type of animals and the care of them.

Hi Brella,

I agree with Jen,

If your friend could check to make sure the axolotls are okay that would be great. I would recommend against the friend dropping food in. Uneaten food will add to the ammonia levels when it starts to rot. The axolotls will also poop if given food adding more ammonia to the tank.

Your friend may not be around when the food is regurgitated, left over, pooping occurance and then the wastes are present and not being removed.

Far better for them to have no food at all for the days you are away, no food, no wastes. Colder water will also slow the metabolism which will be a great help.

lisalee2

Reaction score
jenn i know you work on this site but i dont think i am being harsh, what is the point having animals if you are not going to be there to look after them, like i said before i would never leave my animals even if they dont need food, and if i did go away i would get some one in who knows alot about the animals i keep and i would tell them how much and how often to feed them.I wouldnt just get any body to look after them i would want my animals to get the proper care and attention they need.Axolotls and any sort of animals come before going away in my eyes.If this sounds harsh then im sorry but this is what i belive in.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
An adult healthy axolotl won´t mind at all spending a week without food....in fact i always think people feed their adults too often, these are cold blooded animals with slow metabolisms, they don´t need food every two days....they are (when healthy) prepared for going without food for long periods of time....salamanders of all kinds are oportunistic.

lisalee2

Reaction score
ok then im just saying i wouldnt go away for nealy two weeks not even a night away as i like to be with my animals to make sure they are fine, i feed my axis every other day with small amounts of dillies (frozen fish) or prawns they love there food and always know when its there tea time as they come to the front of there tanks, i dont know about you but i wouldnt feal right leaving them alone i would worrie bout them in case they atack each other for one.But every ones diffrent and have diffrent apinyons.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Is that all you feed them? Prawns are not an adequate food for amphibians...they can be used as a treat or as a last resort in a desperate moment, but as a significant part of the diet they are unnatural and unsuitable.
You shouldn´t feed them fish too often, vertebrate flesh is too high in calories for an staple diet. Earthworms and bloodworms are much more apropriate as an staple, though variety is always the key.

Last edited:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
My tank temperature is between 50-60 degrees F.
In my experience, well-fed adult or near-adult axolotls kept at that temperature can be left for 2 weeks without food quite safely. If it were the summer then I would probably halve that time. Do not have someone inexperienced feed them - that could be a disaster.

Last edited:

lisalee2

Reaction score
We was told on this site that we can give them frozen prawns and dillys so i have for 3 years now and they seem to love them and they have never been ill cause we look after our axolotls really well and we do not give prawns to our axis all the time prob only once a fortnight, I know earth worms are good for axis we give them to our axis too, We only feed blood worm to our axis when they were juvis as it is to messy.We have never had any problems with our animals since we have had them and they all seem happy and healthy so i am happy with what they are eating if they are.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you can feed those things, Lisa, but the point is that it would be best not to feed them as staples. If you're not using them as staple foods then everything is fine.

As a side note, do you really say "we was" in real life? I mean, come on, can't we do better than that?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1