Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: salamander larva with air bubble!

amkid247

Reaction score
i have a larva northern two lined salamander and i just noticed him struggling at the surface of the water upside down. i have relocated him to a small container with fresh clean water and a little plant. i just saw through the side of the container he has one or two air bubbles in his abdomen! what can i do about this?

Nathan050793

Reaction score
It really depends, if it is just an accumulation of gas in the gut then it should pass and the larva will recover in time. Did you happen to do a water change recently? (besides when you moved him to a new container)

Nathan050793

Reaction score

amkid247

Reaction score
oh no sorry i originally posted that i had done a water change right before i moved him but i was correcting myself. but im pretty sure i did the water change after i moved him. thanks for the info ill keep an eye on him

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A lot of times air bubbles are caused by lack of food. How often/what are you feeding it?

amkid247

Reaction score
the air bubbles went away. the thing is the water quality hasn't been its best especially in the ammonia field. anyway he's now out of the tank in his own container with some plants and i just changed his water with aged tap water. I've been giving him black worms but he's been refusing them, I'm guessing do to the stress of the ammonia in the water (he usually devours them). ill try feeding him tomorrow again since he'll then have spent a few days in clean ammonia free water.
thanks so much guys! ^_^

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1