Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What non-aggressive fish can be paired this axolotls?

Travisdjtg

Reaction score
one to three fish preferably, are there any risks involved when introducing fish?
what species of fish are "good" to pair with axolotls?

Travisdjtg

Reaction score
Generally as a rule, axolotls live alone. If you put fish in the tank more likely than not, your axies are going to have a very tasty midnight snack!!

If you put fish in the tank that are bigger then your axie or have barbs, then it could get really ugly...
Have a look at this...

tnx. just asking because i saw a video on youtube were someone was keeping fish in the same tank with axolotls

another Question what fish are good to feed axies?

Saspotato

Reaction score
one to three fish preferably, are there any risks involved when introducing fish?
what species of fish are "good" to pair with axolotls?

None really, however some have managed it with success. It is not common though as either your axies will eat the fish, or if the fish are too big, they will nibble on your axie and stress it out.

Guppies are a good source of nutrition for axies and I have used them as feeder fish myself. I breed my own and therefore do not quarantine them. From a petstore, I would recommend a quarantine period of 30 days as suggested before. Guppies suit the temperature that axolotls require as well as the water conditions. They are really easy to breed too (though I recommend seperating the babies from the adults as the adults will eat them before they can be put in your axie tank!). I put them in with my axie when they get to about 7mm. The main problem you have to watch for is that a few super guppies escape being eaten and can get large enough to nibble on your axie. When this occurs I remove them and add them to my guppy breeding pool.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have guppies and platys in my tank - they are intended as feeder fish but I have lots of plants floating and planted, so the fish can hide long enough to reproduce.

Any fish that can tolerate the cold temps in an axolotl tank and that stay small and bear live young are ok, as long as you accept that they are food and will only liven up the tank for the time it takes the axolotl to catch them. In addition to guppies, mountain minnows (I think that's what they are called?), small killifish, and cardinal fish are all ok (just watch their temp requirements).

Good luck!

-Eva

roc

Muted for ignoring multiple warnings
Reaction score
I have a Chinese warty paddletail newt, a catfish, a Peacock eel and a Spotted Puffer fish all living Happily toghether for over three months! Water temp is at 78 and I feed them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp and fish pellets. Nobody is trying to eat eachother. The only thing I worry about is the puffer nipping but so far so good. The newt is very happy and active.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As Jenn said in the previous post, 3 months is nothing. Newts have a life span of 20+ years.

Your newt will die from 1.) trying to eat the catfish and being impaled on its spines (http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48241), 2.) wasting away from chronically high temperatures, or 3.) being eaten by one of the other fish.

I wouldn't give it more than 3 months.

kira

Reaction score
I have a Chinese warty paddletail newt, a catfish, a Peacock eel and a Spotted Puffer fish all living Happily toghether for over three months! Water temp is at 78 and I feed them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp and fish pellets. Nobody is trying to eat eachother. The only thing I worry about is the puffer nipping but so far so good. The newt is very happy and active.

I feel sorry for your animals!!

T

thya

there are two kinds of fish that work very well in an axolotl-tank
(if you dont mind the possibilitly that your dragons will eat them ;))

cardinals and danios, because they normally also live in cold water (~18° works fine for them) this assures that they feel well and are healthy as long as they are alive. they dont grow very big either, perfect axolotl-snack size. :D

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Water temp is at 78 and I feed them frozen blood worms and brine shrimp and fish pellets.

I would seriously try to get the temp down to around 65F. The current temperature (78F) is way to high for a paddletail newt. Kept at this temp and it probably won't even last a month. Have a look at this care sheet to give you a better idea of their requirements.

http://caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

Besides, the Spotted Puffer fish requires brackish water. It's a shame your animals have to be put through this but I hope you will soon change your ways.:(

Abrahm

Reaction score
I would seriously try to get the temp down to around 65F. The current temperature (78F) is way to high for a paddletail newt. Kept at this temp and it probably won't even last a month. Have a look at this care sheet to give you a better idea of their requirements.

http://caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

Besides, the Spotted Puffer fish requires brackish water. It's a shame your animals have to be put through this but I hope you will soon change your ways.:(

That common name you gave could be either of two different species of newts. Either the Paddletail mentioned above or the warty newts (Paramesotriton). Both of these newt types require cooler temperatures to truly thrive. At those temperatures you are keeping your newt it will soon give into heat stress acquire a fatal infection and die.

Justin in right about the puffer too. These are brackish water fish and if you want him to last any length of time you'll want to put him in his own tank and slowly up the salinity. The only freshwater puffer is Carinotetraodon travancoricus, the dwarf puffer. It should also be noted that puffer fish are pretty aggressive. The salinity is probably stressing it out but otherwise it would only be a matter of time until your other fish feel its beak.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
That common name you gave could be either of two different species of newts. Either the Paddletail mentioned above or the warty newts (Paramesotriton).

Thank you Abrahm for clearing that up, I was unaware that the common name paddletail was used interchangeably between the two species. I guess you do learn something new everyday after all.:p

Abrahm

Reaction score
Thank you Abrahm for clearing that up, I was unaware that the common name paddletail was used interchangeably between the two species. I guess you do learn something new everyday after all.:p

Sorry if I was unclear but it isn't the paddle tail part. The paddle tail part is exclusive and so is the warty part to my knowledge. Sorry for increasing the confusion!

He called his newt a "Chinese warty paddletail newt." With that common name I certainly can't tell if it is a paddle tail or a warty newt. Sounds like something a confused pet shop owner puts on a name tag.

rnocera

Reaction score
As they've said, there are a ton of problems you can face from fish with axolotls. That said, I keep guppies in with mine. I have my male set up in a 20H, and there's tons of vertical space he doesn't use. The guppies spend most of their time at the top of the tank and come down occasionally. When they do, my axie gobbles them up. He generally gets 1-3 a week or so.

I would also imagine any of the danios would be fine, even though they'll be expensive meals.

And finally, years ago before I knew much about keeping herps or fish (I'd have been about 10?), I kept a dojo/weather loach in a 55 gallon paludarium with some firebelly newts & a paddletail newts, and they all did wonderful together. Even with sub-par filtration and environment they all lived for years, and I never saw any signs of aggression from the dojo loach.

roc

Reaction score

Going on 4 months now and everone is happy. I had to take the puffer out of this tank though. The Peacock eel Catfish and newt are all very healthy and happy. Water temp is 72-74. Newts activity is normal. No stressfull behavior. Not too much activity. It turns out that the eel is a very tollerant fish and so is the cat. The cat is an upside down catfish. All the animals are pretty close in size.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Ok so if I understand your post correctly, your method of deciding whether the animals can cohabitate is a process of elimination? Keep them together as long as possible and if something bad happens, remove the affected animal?

roc

Reaction score
No, the puffer fish required much warmer, brackish water. The other 3 all can live at the temp they are at. I think it's pretty amusing that so many of you are blinded by each-others "theories" and false information that is passed on from moron to moron. The fact is, these tank mates are a good mix. The water condition's are good. The water's levels of hardness, PH, amonia, nitrate, and nitrite are far more important than 2-5 degrees.

blueberlin

Reaction score
Did the puffer fish not need much warmer, brackish water 4 months ago? Are good nitrite levels and pH going to change the basic nature of a carnivorous predator? Is heeding the logic of replicating a native, natural environment and the advice of accumulated and photodocumented knowledge what makes one a moron? :confused:

-Eva

Abrahm

Reaction score
I think it's pretty amusing that so many of you are blinded by each-others "theories" and false information that is passed on from moron to moron.

I won't bother refuting your statements, but personal attacks are not allowed. Feel free to disagree with the collected knowledge of Caudata.org or its members but you must do so politely and without name calling. If you choose to call any of our members (or our membership at large) morons again you will face administrative action.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!