Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help sick Axies!

lauranisbet2002

Reaction score
Hi I have two Axolotls and for nearly two weeks now neither of them have eaten. They have become lifeless and the smallest one just floats and occassionaly moves herself around. The biggest one the male appears to be chasing his tail a lot and im wondering if he may be constipated? I have given them salt baths and kept them in the fridge at cooler temperature for a week, but nothing seems to be helping. They are now back in their tank, water temp is fine and the water is clean. They were eating earth worms about three each every second day. Have had the male for nearly three years now and the little on for about 10 months. Can anyone help??
Thanks Laura :(

inkozana

Reaction score
Hi Laura,
sounds like there might be a size difference between your axolotls, for stress-related issues can you clarify just how big or small they are compared to each other?
Also, swimming funnily in the tank usually occurs because of bad water quality, I know you said your water is clean but what are you Ammonia/Nitrate & Nitrite levels? High Ammonia levels often cause axolotls to swim frantically through the water as the high concentration of NH3 starts to burn their skin.

Also, for constipation the axolotl's clocoa will be swollen more than usual, which is hard to tell with a boy.. What substrate do you keep them on? It's possible he has swallowed a pebble or stone.
I suppose some pictures would help as well if you can get them up :p Thanks.

lauranisbet2002

Reaction score
Hi Stef
thanks for your reply, both Axies are pretty much the same size now, i think its habit that i call them the bigger and small ones as Elmo (the male) was always bigger and fatter! Although he's definately lost weight the past couple of weeks. The water levels are normally fine., i cant remember them off hand but will check them again tonight when i get home from work. I dont have any substrate, we have a plastic bottom fitted to the tank so that they can grip and some larger stones for decorative purposes so they've definately not swallowed anything. any idea how long they can go without eating? as i'm really worried :(
Laura

inkozana

Reaction score
A healthy axolotl can go for a week without eating. Not having any substrate is fine, so that's good.
I think we would need a photo to clarify the constipation.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
They have become lifeless and the smallest one just floats and occassionaly moves herself around. The biggest one the male appears to be chasing his tail a lot and im wondering if he may be constipated? I have given them salt baths and kept them in the fridge at cooler temperature for a week, but nothing seems to be helping. They are now back in their tank, water temp is fine and the water is clean. They were eating earth worms about three each every second day. Have had the male for nearly three years now and the little on for about 10 months. Can anyone help??
Thanks Laura :(

Hi Laura,

When you transferred the axolotls from the fridged water to the tank water, did you wait until the water temps of both were the same before popping the axolotl back into the tank? Temperature shock can cause a lot of stress in an axolotl.

Fridging is very helpful to aid the axolotl in healing and in passing any obstructions. While fridged, the axolotl's metabolism is slowed right down to the point where the axolotl will not likely eat.

Have you made any drastic changes to the tank that may have thrown the water quality off?

Water quality is most important to an axolotls health. As Stef has advised, if you could post your readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH that would be most helpful for us to ascertain if the problem is the water quality.

Is there any water current going on in the tank?

Why were you giving them salt baths?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!