Illness/Sickness: broken leg

magrant09

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, the other day i bought an axolotl and i noticed that his front left leg was broken. It seems to be twisted back behind his body. When he walks his face drags lobsided along the ground. Im not sure what to do. Can anybody help me out?

-max

I have just uploaded pics onto my photo album in my profile. My axolotl has become realy slow and im afraid he will not be able to catch his live food.

Hm, I see what you mean.
In my personal opinion you should consider amputating that leg, I'm not sure how axolotls are with fixing their legs but I know for a fact that regeneration is not a problem.
He is probably in pain as well.
Is it possible for you to hold his live food for him? I used to do that when my axolotls were sick.

Also, I know this is not related to the broken leg, but I think your pebbles are dangerous for your axolotl.
He is looking a little plump around the tummy, which might mean he has swallowed some of those stones..
Sometimes axolotls will live peacefully with stones like that for a long time but sooner or later they will ingest one and it will cause serious problems.

For now, I reccommend you take out those little stones and just have him on barebottom tank.
The best option for substrate is children's play sand :) Just make sure you wash it thoroughly before adding it to the tank, and it can take a few hours to settle depending on how much you washed it.

I hope this helped :)

thanks for your advise but im not sure how i should go about amputating his leg?

Personally, I see no point in amputation. If the leg was suffering from any tissue damage (to the point of necrosis) due to infection then, yes, this would warrant an amputation.

I do have a question, though: Did this abnormality develop while you had him or prior? If it was it was prior, and you've only just noticed then it might be (but, I can say with all certainty- or at all, for that matter) that:

1). Your axolotl has been attacked before (i.e. during transit or at the pet shop), and has managed to regenerate this limb, but with an abnormality. Axolotl larvae have been known to regenerate inverted limbs.

2). It is a mutant gene that is inherent of your axolotl.

For now, you should keep a close eye on it (i.e. doesn't develop fungus) and; in particular, your axolotl's health.

Jay.

Jay, can axolotls regenerate their legs while they still have them? That sounds dumb but like, could it fix it's broken leg by itself?

I agree with Jay. The leg does not look diseased so no point in amputating. For an inexperienced person, that could introduce a whole raft of problems. Keep an eye on your axolotl and hopefully the leg will mend. Try feeding non-live food if you are worried your axie will not be able to catch live food. If problems develop, take your axie to a vet, who will be able to perform an amputation if necessary, or decide on other treatment.

Good luck with your axie!

G'day, Stef,

I don't quite understand what you're trying to ask. Do you mean can an axolotl grow an extra limb in place of the damaged one? Or grow connective tissue, whether it be fibroblasts, cartilage, bone, etc., to correct an abnormal limb?

If this intrigues you, I'm more than happy to give you the references to some journals that discuss 'Limb development and regeneration' (Bryant & Gardiner, 1978), and also 'Some problems of regeneration' (Brunst, 1961).

Jay.

Or grow connective tissue, whether it be fibroblasts, cartilage, bone, etc., to correct an abnormal limb?

That's the one! Because if they can grow back a complete limb, can't they correct broken ones?

OUCH!! That looks like a horrible break!! Poor axie :(

Good Luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back