Question: turkey for maxie?

superfin

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
Chris
Hello everyone:smile: Christmas is coming up and I am treating my pets with luxury food for example I'm giving my cats a whole chicken:cool:(very cheap chickens lol).Any way I think I should treat my axolotl (Maxie) some little bits of left over turkey as I have heard they like human class meats.If not turkey is there anything else I can give him as a treat.Any advise will be appreciated.

chris:wacko:

I couldn't say definitively, but make sure there are no chemicals, sauces, stuffing, etc.

A little bit of turkey won't do any harm, I'm sure he will enjoy it. My axolotl also loves raw pigs liver as a treat. You can buy a small piece very cheaply , cut it into small pieces then freeze it. Just break a piece off, defrost it and offer it to your axolotl. Mine has never refused a piece of liver.

I personally think you´re better off offering the usual food. Mammal meat is way too energetic for amphibians. Obviously feeding it meat once is not going to have any bad repercutions, but since they seem not to digest it properly, i´m not sure you´re going to get any benefit of it.
Anyway whatever you do...only offer it if it´s raw xD

Personally, I would avoid all forms of domesticated meats (chicken, turkey, beef, etc.). I just don't think axolotls digestive systems are up for it. While it may be "okay", most animal meats are high in fat and should be avoided. Just try to stay natural, whens the last time an axolotl ate turkey in the wild? -_^

If you do decided to go ahead anyways, only give it a small amount and make sure it's raw (as opposed to deep fried).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back