Reluctant larvae - help!

Tappers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently aquired some terrestris a couple of weeks ago and much to my surprise (and delight) I found a small number of young had been dropped in the water bowl. Unfortunately only two of the four were viable but seem very slow feeders despite being offered live white worm, bloodworm, daphnia and even tubifex. They are housed in a 12" cube tank on a centralised system and one seems to have developed a bit of a feeding bulge. Any secrets to getting a better feeding response?

They seem to have been born very small and lean and I'm currently offering lots of earthworms, slugs and occasional waxworms to the adults to improve the viability of any future offspring.

Hi

I recently had some S s bejarae larvae, and this is what worked for me.

They didnt feed for a few days, as they have a small yolk sac to absorb, then i got some pond water with daphnia in and kept then in that, i housed them individually too. They were kept in cricket type tubs and changed the water daily. The daphnia started to go down well, and then i started to feed whiteworms, then defrosted bloodworm.

I did have one that was quite weak, but it pulled through.

I think the key is not to give the larvae too much room until you know they are feeding, then increase the space if you feel the need,

This is my way of doing things, but no doubt others will have different methods.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info

Good Luck

Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back