Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

he jumped out of the tank!

blobalob

Reaction score
ok, so today i came home from uni and could not find chumbawumba ANYWHERE.... turns out he was on the middle of my bedroom floor, god knows how long for....

GOOD THING! - hes not dead...

BAD THING - I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO

ive spent an hour picking off hair and dust, it looks like he might have lost a layer of skin....but that might be dust....ive got him in the fridge....but i dont know if that will help....i dont want to give him a salt bath just yet...incase it is his skin falling off....does anyone know what to do???

PLEASE PLEASE HELP!
i dont want chumbi to die....

he is quite an adventurer

Saspotato

Reaction score
Wow, lucky you found him in time! I think keeping chumbawumba in the fridge is a good idea. Unless fungus develops (which it might if he has been injured) I would not use salt baths as it might irritate his skin further. Anyway, the fridge's temperature will help him destress and hopefully prevent any diseases. Just keep up water changes of 100% each day and monitor your axolotl carefully. Put a cover over the fridge container so he is not stressed out by the light.

Good luck!

blobalob

Reaction score
its ok...

chumbi still looks weird, but he is back in the tank and eating.
hopefully in a few weeks he will start to get fat again and be fine!

IanF

Reaction score
You might want to check the water quality in your tank, most Axolotls wouldn't do that unless the water wasn't suitable for them. Even if it's fine, it never hurts to check.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Axolotls can jump out of the tank for many reasons. Usually it happens if something startles them, and they 'freak out'. The swim very fast, and launch themselves out of the tank.

You can prevent this with a lid, or by lowering the water level 3-4 inches below the top of the tank. ONLY DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A LARGE TANK! DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU'RE KEEPING YOUR AXOLOTL IN A SMALL TANK WHERE WATER QUALITY COULD BE COMPROMISED!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1